Looking to Spice up my Cider

So, I have a 5 gal. batch of cider maturing in its 2nd carboy, and I’m looking to add some spices to it. I’m not using a kit, so I’d like people’s thoughts on when and how much to add. I’m thinking Cinnamon, Nutmeg, caramel, or even some combination. Anyone have any thoughts?

@dmtaylo2?

Fill a glass and experiment the scale up. Spice flavor is very personal

2 Likes

The best way I have found to add spices to anything, whether it’s cider or beer or whatever, is to make a tincture with vodka. Guess how much spice you want to add, place this in a glass and pour a few ounces of vodka over it. Stir well, then let this vodka tincture sit for a day or two. Finally when you are ready to spice up your brew, add just a very small amount of your flavored vodka at a time, like 1/2 teaspoon at a time, blend it with the brew, taste it, and see if that’s enough or if you need to add a little more. Leave the spice solids behind and only add the clear portion of the vodka. I find that I usually don’t even use it all, maybe only one third to one half as much as I thought I would need goes into the brew. It is much better to add a little at a time until it tastes right than to add too much, because once you have done that, obviously you cannot remove it any longer.

2 Likes

Thanks dmtaylo2, this is some great advice! My only follow up question would be in terms of amounts, where do I start? For a 5-gallon batch, I don’t know where to begin, 1tbsp? A half lb.? I have no idea. I was hoping for a loose guideline. Perhaps you’ve tried using cinnamon or nutmeg or caramel in your cider? How much did you start with? That way I can follow your suggestion and flavor it to my taste.

Thanks

I brewed a spiced Christmas beer once that turned out good. I used just 3/4 tsp cinnamon and 3/8 tsp nutmeg, and I thought that was too strong. I might suggest starting with those amounts, but like I said, add a little at a time and stop when it gets spicy enough for you, unless you want the spice to override any apple flavor then maybe go up to 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp nutmeg and add most or all of it. Somewhere around there should be maximum of what I would recommend.

I have not used caramel. It depends what kind of “caramel” you plan to use. You know they make caramel malts?! You might be interested in trying Crystal 60, 80, 100 or 120, or even Special B for a dark almost burnt raisin & Cracker Jack flavor. Use just say 5% of one or two of these for good effect.

Dmtaylo2,

This is perfect! Just what I needed! A base line; somewhere to begin. I look forward to finishing this batch up. I’ll post here when its finished and tasted, probably about 6 weeks.

Thank you again!

Unless I’m way off, I think the idea is to flavor a small amount of vodka so you like it and scale up from there. For instance do 4 oz of vodka with known amounts of spices and then multiply those amounts to flavor you 5 gallons. 5 gallons is 160 times 4 ounces. If you were to use a gram of spice for the4 ounces then you’d use 160 grams for the whole 5 gallons. Make sense? :sunglasses: