Looking for used ball lock kegs

Anyone have a good source to buy used ball lock kegs? Seems like they are slowly disappearing and I want to get my hands on at least a few more before prices are even higher.

I actually sprung for some new ones from a competitor that weren’t much more than the going used price. Keep an eye on Homebrewfinds.com for sales… (I don’t want to name competitors on NBs site, but the places I’ve bought from tend to show up on that site pretty often). I did find one really cheap on Craigslist… once… and it was a Firestone, so everything’s slightly odd sized (different post size, different gas tube size, etc).

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure on the quality of the new ones. From what I’ve heard they are thinner and have sharp edges around the lid. The one I have is a Firestone Challenger VI.

2 Likes

I’ve given up on finding reasonably price ball locks. My last 4 have been pin locks. I have some of each so use threaded connections so not a huge PITA to swap fittings as needed.

1 Like

Yes I can confirm the sharp edges around the top of my new ones. My right hand has small chunks shaved off two knuckles and the side of one fingertip slightly modified… All from just cleaning and sanitizing it to get it ready to fill. I have 3 new kegs and this last one was the only one that drew blood.

I scored two new 5g ball locks for $150 a few months ago :blush:

1 Like

Still way more than the pins. Why are the ball locks more desireable?

For me it’s the fact that ball locks are smaller diameter. I can just fit 4 ball locks in the old upright freezer that became my serving fridge. I could only fit 3 pin locks in it. Also I could swear ball locks were cheaper than pins when I started buying kegs…

2 Likes

Hmmm… I’ll have to compare since I hadn’t noticed. Thanks!

Dìd see a couple on ebay for sale. Me use sankey kegs. Did buy newones. At a company in florida. 60 dollar new. If you want you can even put a logo on

1 Like