Looking for Suggestions on Modifying an Extract recipe

Yes did order extra grains. Add one pound more grains.

If you like them bigger and hoppier buy a pound or two DME to add and higher alpha bittering hops like Magnum. Then use the Willamette for finishing.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions…

I have some Magnum, and I also have some dark LME, (3.3lbs) do you think that would work? I also have some corn sugar

The dme and cornsuggar will give you more alc abv.but not more hoppy flav. Look at a hop chart on what you gonna use. Flav wise. .but remember more malt or. Lme. Or corn suggar. Higher og abv .means rethink your Yeast. Pitch rate How much. What kind. Dry or vials of yeast.

I think it has potential.

FERMENTABLES

• 6 lbs Gold malt syrup
  • 3.3 lbs Dark LME
    with a 2.5 gal boil, may want to do a late addition rather than all at start)

SPECIALTY GRAIN

• 0.5 lbs Caramel 80L
  • 0.125 lbs Special B
  • 0.125 lbs Light Roasted Barley
    assume steep for 20 min or until 170*

HOPS

• x oz Magnum (@ 60?) 40 IBUs -55 IBUs?
  • 1 oz Willamette (@ 5? @0? )

DRY YEAST: Muntons Ale Yeast

OG: around 1.067; FG (medium attenuation 71-75%): 1.018-ish.

1 Like

Why not use a starter. For this kind of original grav.a nice abv of 6.4% add the dark lme about 20 before end of boil. With the grains do a mini mash.

Good ideas & suggestions.

With my previous post, I wanted to provide an updated (although incomplete) recipe for others to consider.

I’ve never done a starter, going to watch the tutorial now. I will add the dark LME later in the boil.

As for hops When do you suggest I add those on this boil?..I did them at 15, 30 and last at the end of the boil for a batch of DIPA

I’ve got both the magnum and willamette, again I’m new and I do try to search on some of these before asking.

thanks again to all

I like what @hd4mark suggested earlier:

Add enough Magnum at the start of the boil (target 45 - 55 IBUs??). Add the Willamette at the end of the boil (just before “flame out”).

I would start at 60 45. 20. 0 with hops. And lme at the 20 min as well. Maybe some dryhop. Are you using irish moss as well. Close to end of boil

I used whirfloc. High OG 1.074

In primary now for 14 hrs, lots of activity, nice foamy head

1 Like

Awesome. Are you gonna use second fermentor. Or leave it in the primary.

I am going to use a secondary, marbe dry hop and/or oak cubes
Its been in primary for about 36 hours…I took a peak and it looks like the krausen reached the top of the bucket (abt 5 inches of clearance) but has now subsided, and is an inch or so thick. No airlock activity but that’s probably just a poorly sealed lid.

Me normaly wait 8 to 12 days before transfer to second. Dry hop yes. Do about three weeks before my brew is ready. Or after thirth og reading. Once around. The fg. I do dry hop

1 Like

Just checked and Gravity is down to 1.027 since Monday. No krausen.

1 Like

holding at 1.027 and racked to secondary

What are you using to check gravity? 1.027 is awful high.

1 Like

You got to check grav first before you do transfer.

Yes, as Loopie sez, too high a gravity and it does like a refractometer reading. Why? Because I found out the hard way… Waited and waited. Did you taste yer brew yet? If its quite sweet you may need to wait, which may give you time to git a hydrometer, maybe, even a finishing hydrometer. Sneezles61