Looking for some large batch brewing ideas with two different setups

Hey guys. I’m looking into getting a half bbl unitank and I’m looking for some advise on how you would brew a 16 or 17 gallon batch using the equipment that I have. I currently do biab and I have one electric system 240 v that is 15.5 gallons for the kettle and it has a basket and then I have a 10 gallon kettle with a propane burner. I’m wondering if I should just do 2 seperate batches at the same time or if I could use a pump or two and circulate through both kettles maybe just using the electric heating source. Just looking for some ideas. Cheers

I would get a bigger kettle. So you can do. 1 large brew session.

Try brew a high gravity, low water brew… Then add water to a targeted OG…
In the kettle, get to 1.07… Then add water to get to 1.05… It would take some time on paper to get what your looking for…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Personally I would go with the split batch idea. I know it’s not ideal, as one batch always seems to come out different than the other… Thus making the final product more of a “blended” brew, but it usually turns out alright and is (in my opinion) the easiest/cheapest solution even if inelegant.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking too. I might mash them both in the electric system and then boil the first batch on the propane while the other is mashing

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re getting the larger uni tank planning on upgrading your kettle at some point? If not get a smaller fermenter

2 Likes

Exactly. Might just be another year or so. The difference to jump up sizes in unitanks is not a very big difference

1 Like

I would just brew the largest batch you can on your favorite system and call it a day. I’ve done double batches and back to back batches before and wasn’t as enjoyable but that’s just me

1 Like

Yeh I might just get the 14 gallon unitank. My system claims that I can brew 10 gallons of a 1.060 but I’ve never tried. I’m assuming I’ll have to top up with water after the mash. Do you ever do 10 gallon biab sessions? I think I would need about 13 gallons of preboil wort to get 11 in the fermenter.

I’ve done 10gallon BIAB in a 20gallon pot

Just trying to decide if getting the 7 gallon unitank is really worth it. I have less time to brew with the kiddo growing up so I was thinking about going up to a double sized batch. When would I top up with water? After the boil or after the mash?

When i did work at the brewery. In the begin. Before we upgraded to a bigger system. (Haha thanks to me) i was brewing. 3 batches a day. To get the fermentor full. 20gal per time. This did turn in long a long day. And it did take the fun away. From brewing. Beter. Get a bigger. Boil kettle. And mash tun. So a single batch. Brew. Less work. And more consistent. Beer on the end.

Create a higher OG wort and then top off going into the fermenter to reach your targeted OG.
Another option you can do is brew two days in a row and pump over to the same fermenter. You’ll want to make sure your yeast is healthy though. It’s similar to creating a big starter.

2 Likes

That would be interesting Loopie… Small starter type brew… Then the one to bring up to desired ABV… Even if you skipped a day in between
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Or two

1 Like

That’s a great idea! I could get the half bbl unitank and do 2, 8 gallon batches 2 days apart. Thanks guys! Now would you pitch enough yeast for the 8 gallons or 16?

I would jus pitch for 8 it’s going to be reproducing for a couple days. Maybe a slight overpitch but I wouldn’t think you need double kind of like or exactly like pitching on fermentables in a secondary

1 Like

So you can control ferment temps with one future fermenter?/unitank? Leave the first pitch at 70* help with budding process of yeast… Then add the stronger wort and chill to low to mid 60’s for Ale? Just thinking on the iPad…
Sneezles61

I dont think I would do different strengths of gravity though. Just exact batches and let them build up a bit on the first 8 gallons. I like the idea of the temp though. It would definitely be paired with a homemade glycol chiller

You are correct, Brew the batch as is, no need to worry about different OG.
I would shoot for 24 hours. Going 48hrs is pushing it. If you double batch I would add enough yeast for 16gals plus O2 on both. If you brew on top of another (24hrs) pitch first with enough yeast for 8gal and O2 and limit O2 on the second one with no yeast pitch. By pitching the yeast at the same time your yeast will be in the same phases throughout fermentation. This is important if you repitch. Also, this is why your yeast health is important.