Looking for Experienced Brewers

Hello, everyone . My name is Eugene (Milwaukee,wi). I would like to brew lagers.
I have very little experience so I really, really need someone
who can lead me thru the process and actually brew my lagers .
I got good European lager recipes (10 of them)
It is separate decoction , og-1,044, fg-1,012. Srm-8-10. Ibu-19-23 . Abv-4.2%.
Ibu , srm , abv and gravity may very. I am dreaming about my own microbrewery
and this is my pilot projects . I will pay for ingredients , buy additional
equipment : big cooler , additional burners, big brew kettles, fermenters.
I will pay for ingredients and labor of course $$$ !
If interested , you can email me @ evitavski@gmail.com
Thank you

where are you? One of the best tips I can give you, as a homebrewer with over 500 batches, is skip the decoction. It’s a ton of work for no appreciable benefit. A decoction should be based on the malt you use, not a recipe.

Thank you for your response , Denny. You are right - decoction is hard. But friend of mine has been brewing that beer for 10 years. I would like to follow his recipe . If malt is good , then you need just one time decoction , not two ,not three … And also I am going to use separate decoction.
Tank you. :cheers:

Melanoidin Malt at 3-5% should be able to replicate the decoction without any noticeable difference. However, if you are a traditionalist that likes to spend unwarranted time on an unwarranted process, by all means have at it.

In regards to your original question, are you looking for advice on brewing lagers, or help with actually brewing your lagers?

[quote=“andymag”]Melanoidin Malt at 3-5% should be able to replicate the decoction without any noticeable difference. However, if you are a traditionalist that likes to spend unwarranted time on an unwarranted process, by all means have at it.

In regards to your original question, are you looking for advice on brewing lagers, or help with actually brewing your lagers?[/quote]

That presumes a decoction will make a noticeable difference.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“andymag”]Melanoidin Malt at 3-5% should be able to replicate the decoction without any noticeable difference. However, if you are a traditionalist that likes to spend unwarranted time on an unwarranted process, by all means have at it.

In regards to your original question, are you looking for advice on brewing lagers, or help with actually brewing your lagers?[/quote]

That presumes a decoction will make a noticeable difference.[/quote]

This is true. In my brew club we had taste tested three Marzen beers. One that was a triple decoction, one that had 4% melanoidin, and one that was neither decocted nor had melanoidin malt. The results varied, but most found that there wasn’t too much difference between two of the three (Melanoidin and Decoction) other than the decoction mashed one was clearer, but that could have been process due to the beers were brewed on three different systems. The third was very good and hard to separate from the other two, but was a little less on the sweet caramel flavor.

I did a double decoction once and found it wasn’t worth the time to do it again.

If you can’t taste the difference then, of course, it doesn’t matter.

1 Like