Looking for a easy to drink beer

Me fam complains. That i went to brewing only stouts and. Ipa again. So me looking for a easy to drink recipy. Me thinking. A lawnmower type of brew

I brewed this light lager for my buddy who wanted something under 4% abv. Turned out pretty good. I’ve subbed in some vienna malt for some of the pils for next time and boosted the bittering charge a bit to see if it’s more interesting.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
11 lbs Avangard Best Malz Pilsner Malt (1.9 SRM) Grain 1 77.5 % 0.86 gal
1 lbs Acid Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 % 0.08 gal
1 lbs BEST Vienna (BESTMALZ) (4.6 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 % 0.08 gal
1 lbs Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 % 0.08 gal
3.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5 1.3 % 0.01 gal
0.75 oz Premiant [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 11.2 IBUs -
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 - -
0.50 oz Premiant [7.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.5 IBUs -
2.0 pkg German Lager (White Labs #WLP830) [35.49 ml] Yeast 9 - -

Mash Schedule: BIAB - Danny’s
Total Grain Weight: 14 lbs 3.0 oz

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash in Kettle Add 36.00 qt of water at 155.1 F 149.0 F 30 min
Sparge Add 32.00 qt of water at 191.1 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with -2.63 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:

1 Like

That’s a 10 gallon batch?
Sneezles61

Thanks this looks great. Got the grains in the house. But the hops. Got to see if i can use a substitution. Hop for your recipy

Yes it is 10 gals sorry

1 Like

Any noble or traditional lager hops should be fine. I just had the premiant hops around and wanted to use them. They’re very similar to saaz

Do you get any sugar from the acid malt? I’ve not used it so that’s why the question… There are peeps around here that like small brews… And it would be handy to have on tap…
Sneezles61

Yes Beersmith calculates it exactly like 2 row.

Full disclosure, first time I brewed this my 60 minute charge got me to 10.5 IBU. Everyone loved it but I thought it need a tad bit more bittering so I added a little more. This is the lowest ABV beer I’ve brewed so I’m not sure how much impact another .5-.7 IBU is going to have yet.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info!
Perhaps us home brewers do like a little more bitterness, and the peeps that want “easy drinking beer” like it… less bitter?
Sneezles61

I remember when I had my brother try RedHook IPA back in the early 90’s, and that was about as bitter a beer as you could find then…He hated it, made this face :confounded:, didn’t finish it, and stuck to Miller Lite until he departed this Earth last year.

1 Like

Wasn’t that like the “gateway” IPA for many peeps? I enjoyed quite a few…
I’m sorry to hear of your brothers passing… I hope there wasn’t much, if any suffering…
Sneezles61

Thank you.

Yeah, that and Pete’s Wicked Ale seemed to be early entrants. Pete’s was from up your way I think?

I don’t think Pete’s was a brewery… rather contracted out breweries to brew Petes… I didn’t see much of it as I recall…
Sneezles61

Me thinking. Saaz. And hallertau. I am gonna use for this

1 Like

Thanks for all the reply. Me early awake. Gonna. Put the recipy on paper. So got a idea for tomorow