Light DME Mistake

Today, I was brewing a 5 gallon batch of coffee, chocholate stout. The recipe called of 3.3 lb of Light LME and 2.5 l of Light DME. I had a 5 lb bag of DME and added it to the wort before I realized I forgot to weigh it out! Any advice or help on what, if anything I can do to salvage this batch?
Thanks

If that was the only mistake , I believe you will be fine. It will be a bigger beer than you intended but if the yeast were handled as directed they will do their job and you will have beer.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and putting me a bit at ease! This is the first time I’ve made this recipe. When I bought the ingredients, came in a 5 lb bag and I remembered I was to 1/2 the DME 5 minutes after I put it in the boil. I’ll let you know how it comes out. THanks again

CHOCOLATE COFFEE STOUT
(EXTRACT WITH GRAINS)
FERMENTABLES
3.3 lbs Light LME
2.5 lbs Light DME
1.5 lbs Maris Otter Malt
10 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Wheat Malt
6 oz Flaked Oats
5 oz Chocolate Malt
2 oz Caraffa III
4 oz MaltoDextrine

SCHEDULE OF KETTLE ADDITIONS
60 min 9AAU Challenger
15 min 1/2 oz Styrian Celeia
10 min 1/2 oz Willamette
5 min 2 oz Cocoa Nibs
0 min 2 oz Coffee (course crush)

PROCEDURE
Bring 1.5 gallons water to 160’F and turn off heat source.
Place crushed grains in a muslin bag and steep for 35 minutes at 154’F
Remove grains and let drain back into the pot. Do not Squeeze!!!
Add additional water to the kettle to bring volume up to at least 2.5 gallons and begin heating.
Disolve the LME, DME, and MaltoDextrine as the wort coms to a boil.
Once kettle is back at a boil and no longer creating heavy foam, make your first hop addition and follow the schedule above.
Once boil is complete, chill the wort to about 68’F and add to sanitized fermenter.
Top off volume to 5 gallons with clean, cool water and mix well
Ferment with US-05 for at least 7 days

Shouldn’t be a problem. Homebrewers often add more malt on purpose, me included. Usually it is to boost the ABV. The addition of light extract may make your stout a little lighter in color than expected.

That is an interesting recipe. The “steep” at 154° is actually kind of a mini-mash. The MO, wheat and flaked oats need to be mashed. I would have gone more than 35 min. but they say everything that happens in the mash is in the first 15 min.

I would bet your stout will be great. Let us know how it turns out.

2 Likes

It’s now an Imperial Stout carry on

4 Likes

Might be a little on the sweet side and have minimal hop presence but it will be beer. Enjoy responsibly…hahaha

2 Likes

Going to be beer. :sunglasses:

Ferment at least 7 days? Cue hydrometer discussion. :grin: I get nervous when I see time periods for fermentation. Somebody on here used the phrase, “yeast can’t read a calendar.”

5 Likes

Yeah, I saw that too, that’s why the old 123: “1 wk primary, 2 weeks secondary, 3 weeks bottle conditioning” was always a safe recommendation until you get your processes down, and/or get a good hydrometer.

2 Likes

It still blows my mind that most homebrewing starter kits do not come with a hydrometer. The most basic and reliable test instrument in brewing.

Great catch… check your Gravity before pitching the yeast?
Sneezles61

1 Like