Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat

I went to find a copy of this recipe and found it calls for some fruit extract and the clone is called “fruity pebbles”. I’m a little beside myself with this one since I did not expect anything fruity, even though the beer is rather sweet and slightly fruity, but thought it was going to be more of a wit beer.

What has been your experience with purchasing a beer and deciding the name is not synonymous with the flavor and/or expectations?

Sunset Wheat tastes EXACTLY like Fruity Pebbles. It contains way too much coriander plus it’s got blueberry extract. In BJCP class, we actually judged this beer as a witbier, and gave it scores in the low to mid 20s. It’s not a witbier.

This kind of thing happens a lot. Commercial brewers don’t need to follow BJCP guidelines for styles. No one does. It’s our option. It would be helpful if everyone would try to align with style guidelines, but we don’t. And as for creativity, well what fun would that be if we only had 70 styles we were allowed to choose from, right? I like creativity.

But I don’t like Sunset Wheat. :mrgreen:

agreed with Dave.

Breweries need to SELL beer, not conform to guidelines. Some take style guidelines seriously, some do not.

Some beers, like the one referenced, do not fit into any particular BJCP style, other than maybe Specialty Beer.

I’m not knocking the beer because it doesn’t fit into a style, I’m knocking it because I felt mislead by the label and name. With no description I wasn’t expecting “fruity pebbles” when I see the name “Sunset Wheat”.

What I was getting at with this thread is asking others what their experience has been when purchasing/drinking a beer that wasn’t what they were expecting because the name of the beer didn’t accurately describe the beer.

If my original post was confusing I apologize.

“YUCK”

that is all

I’m not what I’d call a fan of that beer by any means, but I will say it’s one of the very few they make that doesn’t taste like cardboard to me. That’s not to say that I would ever actually buy it, but if I’m offered one at someone’s house, I won’t turn it down. Actually, their newer summer beer, Canoe Paddler, is one that I tried a sample of at a store a few weeks ago, and I think it’s far and away the best beer they’ve ever made. I’d hardly a masterpiece, but it’s far cleaner tasting than most of their stuff, and if it was on sale for a good price at a bar and it was the only thing halfway drinkable on tap, I’d probably drink one or two. That is, before I moved on to a bar that served real beer :wink: