Late sugar addition for imperial IPA

Hey I’m putting together a recipe for an Imperial IPA. For 5 gal batch, I’m using 15 lb 2row, .5lb victory, .5lb Crystal 40 and I wanted to add corn sugar as a late addition to help my ABV and make the beer a little dryer and to help the hop character.

Any suggestions on percentage of the grain bill the sugar should take up…5%…10%…? Or just a matter of weight? Thanks guys

I usually go 5 to 10%, generally closer to 5%. But I usually don’t use crystal, just base malt. Sometimes I add some Vienna or Munich. With sugar in the grist, I’d bump it up to 10%, as crystal tends to make it seem less dry. Actually, I’d just not add the crystal. :imp:

*edit - I must have been sampling, missed a few key words in this post!

I’ve never added more than 5%, kind of gun shy. Same as @porkchop those didn’t have crystal . never added cane dugsr to an IPA though I have added DME to pump it up.

1 Like

Cool thanks guys! Crystals gotta go, Munich it is! Any advise on fermentation? I was thinking Wyeast 1056 with a large starter. 65f for 10 days, then 68 for another 10. Dry hop a few ounces for 7 days and another few for 3 more… Then crash it for a couple before bottling…?

1 Like

NOT SO FAST!! C40 is a pretty low lovebond. Keep it if you want and still add your sugar. I don’t see 3% being too much at all. It will add some color, offset a little bitterness, and add body.

1 Like

Ah I see. Thanks

Actually when I added C40 it put my SRM right at the perfect point. When I subbed it out and added Munich, I’m not out of the SRM profile for that style beer. It was too low.

Style guidelines are only needed for competition. I still try to adhere to them, albeit loosely, as they are great starting points. I like a little Crystal Malt in my PA/IPA. I’ll even go as low as C15-C20. Cuts that “bitterness” edge a bit.

Autocorrect changed that to lovebond… It’s lovibond.

1 Like

Oh ok cool. Very good info about using Crystal malts. Thanks

I like to use crystal/caramel sparingly in my IPA’s as I can taste some off flavors I can’t put a finger on… Even if you have a big guy’s IPA that is darker in color, the hops and then that strange back ground flavor… Keep the C-malt lower, but I rather add much more munich/M.O. malt to help the base malt bring up the full body of flavor… Sneezles61

What % crystal do you use in your IPA/PA ? I use around 4-8%. German beers and Belgians I don’t use any.

@brew_cat I agree that crystal malt needs to be limited. I hear people say they go as high as 15%. I NEVER go more than 5% in my PA/IPA. Even with lower lovibond.

Bah…go as high as you need to to get the flavor you want! 15-20% isn’t out of line in some of my beers. The key is to balance it with hops, sugar, mash temp…whatever it takes. I guess my point is to never say never.

What beer do you go 20% ?

For some of my IPAs. I’d have to dig up the exact recipes. 15-18% is more usual, but it all depends on what I feel like when I put it together. For some other styles, even higher.

I get tha @denny but I could also balance it by reducing bitterness rather than throwing more crystal malt at it. :wink:

HOLY COW, but then everybody’s palate is different. For 5 gallon brew, 10 of pale, 2 harris otter or munich, 6 oz crystal 90, and some times add wheat… and 10-12 oz. hops…. simple is good. MY ABV gits 6.4%. Now fer me, I’m happy… Sneezles61

1 Like

Similar to my recipe but use 1/2 lb c/c60. Never used Harris otter though. Instead of the wheat the last batch used a pound of Quaker Oats. Havnt tasted it yet. That’s a lot more hops than I use

I’m not sure I get what you;re saying…or maybe I’m not being clear. What I’m saying is that you if want to get a big flavor from crystal, then use more hops to balance the crystal. It sounds like you’re saying don’t use the crystal and use less hops? If that’s the case, then you won’t get the crystal flavor.

I’ve always been afraid of crystal malts since I like my beer dry. Maybe I should rethink that and try adding more to my ales. I don’t use any in my saisons pilsners or bocks.