Lancaster Brewing Co. German Style Kolsch Ale

This beer is not bad, but I would not call it a Kolsch. It tastes like an American Pale Ale, but the price was good ($8 for a six of cans). Its hoppy for a Kolsch.

What I did was make it a bit more like a Cream Ale by taking a 25 oz Rolling Rock, a 12 oz can of Lancaster Kolsch and a 1 liter Octoberfest mug and blend 20oz RR to 12 oz Kolsch.

Blended like this the hoppyness mellows out quite a bit while making the Rolling Rock better. I wish I had thought of this before the six was almost gone (I believe in 3 beers before deciding on what my opinion is).

If I get it again it will be to blend with Ballantines. My plan is two people, two cans and 1 40 oz of Ballantine. I think that will hit a sweet spot.

Have any of you blended “craft” beer with mass produced beer?

I’ve tried blending several of my brews with commercial beers with good success. And I’ve blended two of my own brews together. I think it’s a fun thing to try, especially when you want to tweak things. I’ve mixed a gose and a saison, which cut the tartness of the gose and added a little kick to the saison. I’ve also, in an attempt to come up with something roughly resembling goose island’s Sofie, mixed my saison with lillet blanc(an aperitif wine) and was really surprised how good it was. Gonna eventually make a saison and add the wine at bottling.

Keep on experimenting!

Cheers,

Ron

This is an excellent way to decide if you want to make “in-between” styles, while having the benefit of having 2 different beers as well as more beer.

Want to brew a hoppy wheat? Make a wheat and an IPA and blend them, see if you like it. Malty IPA? Make an IPA and a porter and see.