Lagering under pressure ....or not

I have not seen an answer to this question, or I missed it somewhere. I am ready to take a “Feistbier” out of the fermenter in a day or two and want to lager it for at least 6 weeks (assuming my other beers on tap last that long). Should I lager while not carbonated ? Meaning just put enough gas in or super low pressure to ensure a good seal then crank it up as it gets closer to tap-time? I am curious if carbonation has any affect on the lagering process.
Thanks for any insight on this !

You will probably get mixed answers on this. I always hook them up while they are lagering so that I can sample to know when they are ready. They always say the last pint of lager is the best in the entire keg so patience and self control will help here.

Thanks, i was thinking not carbing would help me for the very first time, actually lager a lager before tapping it and emptying the keg… but I have always wondered about this pressure or not during a lager. 6 weeks is a looooong time to be patient.

My unscientific answer is lager while carbonated

2 Likes

Most of mine go for 2 months or more until they are ready. I’ve also been looking into fermenting lager strains under pressure at ale temps

Me do keg my lager. Put co2 on. And let it stand

Thanks guys, it sounds like there is no reason not to lager under co2 pressure.

Ive got mine under pressure and I am NOT suppose to tap it until Feb 1… Right… Although… a snit to see how its doing wouldn’t hurt…
Sneezles61

I fully expect mine to be gone by the end of the “suggested “ lagering period.

2 Likes

I always say " I’m blowing the snot out of the keg" when I sample… Wife really frowns…
Sneezles61

2 Likes