Lager season 2016

My Doppel bock vanished… POOF !!! No I am awaiting the riabock( My pun with miabock) To settle down a bit more so I can keg… Maybe this W/E… I’ll force one keg and do a set and forget on the other… all my samples indicate this should be a nice one! Sneezles61

I feel your pain. My keg of Czech pilsner blew just minutes ago as the missus and I were sitting down to beer and pizza…my Maibock is in DA rest mode then to be kegged for secondary/lagering. Now I need to brew up an easy drinker fast!!

1 Like

So it seems you have embraced the lager. This thread has gone over 100. Do you get a reward @sneezles61?

I would dare to say, its for all whom choose to comment… We are all winners! Sneezles61

Time to talk … Lager again?:flushed: Sneezles61

Is it that time already? Short summer. Funny last of the Ofest blew yesterday

1 Like

Im about to keg a czech pils.

I’ve got to brew a house ale… Then I want to wander about the lager’s again… I have a few low O2 tricks I’ve tried to implement… I would like to try another… Either pre-boil or Camden tablets… I really don’t expect big results… I would just like to try this to see what, if any tangible results, will be noticed…
Of course, It seems to be, brew some smaller ABV batches and ramp up… The pinnacle to me would be the Miabock… Lets not forgo the ultimate Doppel bock… That one I would like to go way up with the chocolate malt… OMG… Its time to get out the thinking touks!
I want you to weigh in on whats changed in the last couple of years… lager wise! Sneezles61

I plan to brew 10 gals of schwarzbier in the next week or so and split the yeast cake from a pils I just kegged Sunday. Will do a marzen style lager after that then maybe a dunkel. I still have bottles of doppelbock from last year. Don’t drink that many of them. Haven’t been into the heavy maltier beers last few years.

So, I can’t seem to differ from Saaz to Herbrucker… I wonder how if I could tell from any of the nobles… Can any of you? Just realize its a spicy note and call it? Sneezles61

1 Like

[ monocle falling from eye into bier stein ] I will not let the Hallertauians know that you confuse them with the Bohemians.

2 Likes

I am a newbie at lagers but this one turned out really good.

2 Likes

Nice picture, you might have a future in photography!

1 Like

I’ve got that yeast lurking in the dark shadows of the fridge also!
Now, what are your tasting notes going to say about that brew? Sneezles61

I’ve actually used herzbrucker in my pils a few times. Very similar to saaz indeed.

Putting an eye to a … “sour” brew? :grin: Sneezles61

This Octoberfest turned out Awesome using WLP830 German Lager Yeast (2 packs) and a strong Diacetyl Rest.
After 30 days at 50 deg F and then 2-3 days at 65 deg F did the trick.
The Carboy was noticeably fermenting during the Diacetyl Rest.

On my first attempt at an IPL I believe resulted in too much Diacetyl off flavors.
On that earlier batch I used WLP940 Mexican Lager Yeast (2 packs).
My local grain supply store has been really lazy lately not stocking the yeast I need…
&;-(
Surely I screwed up the Diacetyl rest on that 1st batch. The beer is drinkable.

“Diacetyl (also called 2,3-butanedione) is a chemical that has been used to give butter-like and other flavors to food products, including popcorn.”

1 Like

I did a Mexican lager too a while ago… I did not care for the taste… The next time I do the Negra Modello, I’ll use a standard lager, or even an ale yeast… Sneezles61

My Mexican lager got Bavarian Lager yeast come out good enough for a repeat this year

2 Likes

I’ll get to mine this spring… I’ve got the 3 suspects to brew with lager yeast first… Then number 4, the last one will be Negra… Sneezles61