Lager season 2016

Funny that your lowering your mash temp. My last brew I raised my mash temp partly from what you said you normally do. My normal was 150 and I increased to 155 to get more maltiness

Just tinkering with the pils. For my other lagers I keep the mash temp in the 154 range including the bohemian pils which I like malty.

I do wonder about the mash temp. I know the last brew I did, last Saturday, my thermometer was off so I canā€™t say what temp I was truly at, but checking apparent gravities from what the grist can offer I got 89% efficiency. It read 180* while it was boilingā€¦ so was my mash temp that low then? My temp said 158ā€¦ in reality 138!! I have alot of pilsner left and my admiration fer Duvel will be my test soon. I will mash one low, 145, and one big, 158, I wonā€™t rely on my regular thermometer for this testā€¦ Sneezles61

Really annoyed about this oneā€¦brewed on 10/22 chilled to 50, aerated and pitched a big starter of wy2001, urquell yeast, which Iā€™ve always had good luck with. It was kind of a spur of the moment brew day, the yeast starter had been done and sitting in the fridge for about a month and I had no time to refresh it but brewersfriend calculator agreed that I still had plenty of yeast taking the viability date into account. No action for 3 days so I let the temp rise to 54-56ishā€¦still nothing. I had to leave town on 10/27 so while I was gone the temp rose to ambient room temp of 68 where it is now. I just got in and checked it and thereā€™s krausen. Probably too late to mess with the temp now so Iā€™ll let it burn. Should be interesting to see how this one turns outā€¦

I just canā€™t figure out what went wrong. Iā€™ve used much older slurry. Even though the slurry had been in the fridge for a month it was considered 60% viable by brewersfriend which is pretty conservative. I had about 2L of slurry from a big two step starter. I estimated it at 2b cells per ml which is conservative considering the 4th gen slurry I started with was super clean from a pils and a vienna and only about 4 months old when I built the starter. Both steps fermented well. Since it was now a month old I figured 60% viability and calculated 1200b cells available with 833 required. So still a pretty heavy overpitch but I kind of expected it to take a while to get started so I aerated the crap out of it.

So I been experimenting with red x malt makeing some beautiful red lagers with it adding more and more of it to different lager . Before doing 100% red x smash lager. First taste is nice malty almost dark cherry toffee kinda notes going to continue to lager till thanksgiving and will give another update

I believe it will be a steam beer. Let us know how it turns out

Could it be it just had that much lag time to rebuild before truly taking off? I read a brulosohpy exbeerment that he fermented two lagers, one cold and one warm and I recall the peeps couldnā€™t tell the difference. Maybe a good short read? Iā€™m sure yers will be fine! Will await yer tasting results. My big lager is now at room temp, finishing. Later today I will rack and start chillinā€™, prepare for the keg! Sneezles61

Wellā€¦I kegged the above referenced pilsner last night while trying to ignore the electionā€¦worst smelling beer Iā€™ve ever encountered. Not even sure how to describe the ā€œaromaā€. Rancid garbage is the first thing that comes to mind. Couldnā€™t force myself to taste it. I/m still debating just dumping it. Canā€™t imagine itā€™s going to turn into something anyone will want to drink.

I would let it sit in the keg for a few of weeks. The work is over. Might have a chance of turning into something if even passable. Dumping now or later takes the same amount of time if you can get by without this keg for a while.

1 Like

yeaā€¦my thoughts too. Itā€™s in the lagering fridge. Might as well give it a little time and see what happens.

That really sounds kind of like a contamination issue, especially with the long lag time. Rancid/garbage could be butyric or isovaleric acid, in which case itā€™s not going away. But at this point, whatā€™s there to lose in letting it ride? Iā€™d be extra careful with your sanitation on anything this brew touched.

1 Like

Sounds as tho the election tainted yer brew way before you legged. Bad omen of things to come? Sneezles61

ā€œleggedā€ do you mean running?

Dad gumm auto correctā€¦ I try to proof readā€¦ a bitā€¦ Great yeast sample too! Spice like coriander as a hint in the background? The yeast told me to axe you! Sneezles61

Tapped another pint of this BIG lagerā€¦. Its what Iā€™ve come to expect with a lager, malt forward, a nice balance betwixt malt and hopsā€¦ and thats about it. This was done with 34/70 yeast. Sneezles61

1 Like

I havenā€™t brewed a lager since spring. One more ale batch and then switch over to lager for cold months brewing. Probably wonā€™t be ready till 2017 so have to post the results in" Lager season 2017"

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity, howā€™d this beer end up? I have s Speckled Heifer that has some bad characteristics and just wondered if it stands a chance.

It did not end well. Donā€™t have many notes but my last entry was ā€œcidery and murrkyā€.

Glad this thread came back around. I had fun rereading it. Classic thread went all over the place and ended up back with discussing lagers. I have a maibock on tap now that Iā€™m just ā€œsamplingā€ now which Iā€™ll hit hard in May. Also a doppalbock that is still lagering. Both of these were brewed in 2017 but all the ingredients were secured in '16

1 Like

Thanks! I think Iā€™m going to taste it and if I donā€™t puke Iā€™ll keg the stuff anyway. I smelled it this AM and it was not as nasty as I remember although still strong and not the happy beer smell I was looking for.