Kveik yeast thread

Right, NB doesn’t carry it as far as I know, but they are the two strains we can get so far in the states. Here’s the info on omega’s strain:

I’m not sure if it’s the power of suggestion or not, but man, am I smelling orange peel off this yeast. I have a lump of dough with it that I’m refreshing every three days, and it has a distinct smell. Fired up a quick starter with a vial, and think I have the same smell. It’s funny, I generally have a lousy sense of smell, but certain things really stand out. I’m brewing my IPA tomorrow and will update with details. The porter will follow soon after.

2 Likes

Just got the IPA into fermentors. Here’s what I brewed (nearly 5 gallons, batch sparked all grain)

6.75 lbs 2 row
6.5 lbs Munich
.25 lbs c 20
.25 lbs c60
2 Oz Cascade (homegrown) 60 min
1.5 Oz Chinook (homegrown) 10 min
1 Oz Amarillo (pellet) 10 min
1 Oz Chinook (homegrown) flame out
1 Oz Amarillo (pellet) flame out

Water built up from distilled:
Ca: 133 ppm
Mg: 16 ppm
Na: 32 ppm
Cl: 142 ppm
SO4: 200 ppm

Ended up at 1.067. Split between 2 fermentors, 1 with an active starter of Kveik and 1 with harvested WY 1272. The 1272 is in my brew room at 63 degrees, and the Kveik in an upstairs closet at 73 ambient. We’ll see how these turn out…

1 Like

I guess I’m trying to find a brew thats very simple so a side by side can be wrought out of the Kveik yeast… Sure seems that the yeast WILL alter the flavor… Keep us posted I need to know whats the out come… Sneezles61

Porter is in fermentors. 5 gallons at 1.065 (I like them a bit big)

10 lbs 2 row
2 lbs dark munich
1 lb c120
.5 lb chocolate
.5 lb black

Fuggles at 60 and 10 to 45 IBUs.

(Yes, I know this looks like too much specialty grain, but I’ve made this before and liked it).

Adjusted distilled water to:

Ca- 123
Mg- 11
Na- 32
Cl- 170
SO4- 111

Again, split between a starter of Kveik and some harvested 1272.

2 Likes

Just transferred, dry hopped, and sampled.

Kveik finished at 1.005, 1272 at 1.010 (both refractometer converted). The Kveik dropped a little clearer. The orange is subtle. Think orange blossom honey. It’s there, though. I definitely prefer the Kveik sample. It just has that little bit extra oomf. The most impressive part being that I fermented 10 degrees hotter than I usually do. I almost want to heat a space up to push it further. I harvested the yeast cake to reuse, so I should have plenty now.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of using for a 2-hearted type beer… Orange esters and centennial! Heck yeah!

2 Likes

I did a little reading about Kveik (pronounced ke vike I guess) yeast. Norwegian farmhouse ale has juniper berries and other crazy stuff in it. So how did you guys decide to do Porters and IPAs with the stuff?

Any yeast that ferments clean at hot temps is a game changer for many of us though.

I just figured non-phenolic, heat tolerant yeast with orange peel esters felt like a good match for IPA (Citrus against American hops) and Porter (chocolate orange). I may be biased because those are my two favorite styles, though. So far, so good on the heat tolerance, though.

I think they even put juniper branches in the bottom of their mash runs and lautered through them. I’d love to try that! But some juniper varieties have different levels of toxicity, so it’s important to know what kind you have before you try something like that…

A less exact follow-up. I’ve bottled both test batches. In both the porter and the IPA, I prefer the Kveik (mind you, both were fermented low 70s). The IPA is not very hoppy, but makes a nice pale. The Kveik is crisper and less muddy than the 1272. The porter is freaking beautiful. Chocolate orange. Just a half ahead of the 1272. This yeast is great, and I want NB to carry it in store.

FWIW, I’ve entered both of these in the MN state fair homebrew competition. I’ll gather the results and update this thread.

Yes it does come out real good. Did a storm the bastille last week. A 1.067. Abv. Did transfer it yesterday to. The second. A abv of 1.013. Right now and some orange flav it does have. Me real happy with the temp range it does ferment. Did talk to. Nb. Couple of weeks ago. If they can have this kind of kveik yeast in stock. Right now do order it from yeastbay but would be nice only one store to shop

1 Like

Good Luck Uber at the state fair. Sneezles61

1 Like

So has anyone actually used the Kveik yeast at the advertised really high temps? I ask this because in the fall we leave the cold of central NY and head to sunny Florida for the winter in our motor home. While it is pretty big, it’s not big enough to bring all the equipment I would like to brew. Last year I went with two kegs (full to start with) a bucket, small pot and a burner. Some other minimal equipment but a way to control fermentation temps is kind of out of the question.

If this stuff ferments clean at high temps it would be great for me to do some kits on the picnic table to keep me in homebrew until spring. The couple of kits I did last winter had some off flavors by fermenting so warm.

We’ll need to wait fer Wilco to weigh in, but I thought he had said his temps were quite warm, up into the 80’s. I think this may be the great experiment for you down in Florida this winter. And I am sure you would post what yer doing, brew wise, from down there? Sneezles61

It does indeed the work they do advertise. Ferments nice. At a temp of 80 to 90. It does have a bit of orange flav. To it. Me if i use the kveik dont even use a ice bath to keep the brew cold. Its real active for about a week. Than it does slow down.

1 Like

Well I thought I would put this stuff to the test, so I pitched an active starter of Kveik into a 1.065 pale ale yesterday at 98F. Figured, why the heck not. I’ve been using it in the mid-70’s previously and it’s worked really well. And this morning, about 18 hours later, it’s done fermenting. No feedback on esters or off flavors, but good grief! This stuff is impressive.

It’s a good thing I left a bit of extra headspace in the bucket - there were signs of krausen in the bottom half of the airlock.

Yes awesome stuff the only kind of yeast i do use. Here on the island. Super active fermenting. If you read the blog. From kveik. They bottle with in four days. Me still stick to the 10 days before transfer. To second. Bmm

Yeah, I’ll probably bottle this weekend. If it carbonates as quickly as it ferments, it should be grain to glass in about 10 days!

1 Like

It should be possible. Normaly take a grav reading after 10 days. And the og most the time there

1 Like