Kveik Yeast Discussion

So did you guys taste it yet?

I’m sampling my Scandahoovian farm house ale as I text… I kegged today… But shook the living bejesus into it through the liquid post until it quit sucking in CO2… From this point, its very clean… There is a small hint of some… fruit in the background… Mine weighs in at about 5.2%… I’m good to go! I used the grain bill I posted up there a while ago… I don’t think I’d change too much, green sample I’m enjoying… Sneezles61

Thought I would bring this thread back up. Yesterday I kegged my IPA with Honnidal Kveik.
Pretty simple recipe.
20 gallons, only ended up with 19, close enough.
50lb pale malt
4lb crystal 20L
4lb cane sugar
7oz Magnum 60
4oz Centennial 30, 4oz 10, 4oz finish, 8oz dry hop in kegs

Built up starter 1 day before brew day.

OG 1.070 FG 1.012

Three weeks in 2 buckets and one 12 gallon conical at temps ranging from high 60s to mid 80s.

It came out very clear. What really impressed me is how little trub there was in the fermenters. The usual couple inches of crud ring was more like a half inch and clean up was a cinch. A little less bitter than I expected but I can’t imagine the yeast had much to do with that and it tastes great. I’m not really getting much of the citrus flavor I have read about but I’m not that perceptive sometimes.

The best part of course is it came out clean with absolutely no attempt to control the temps. I have three kegs (actually one ten gal and one 5) primed with cane sugar and one in the garage fridge on CO2. The primed kegs are in a not a/c room and it will be very warm for a couple of days here. Suppose that will rapidly carb them?

I saved a couple of mason jars of the yeast for who knows what and have a pack of Voss in the fridge.

I will post a picture of my Kviek brew… perhaps this W/E… I’m very good with my sampling… Now that its been in the cold for a while… the bittering hop, German Herkules is mellowing out a bit… Sneezles61

Scandahoovian farmhouse ale… And I’m sticking too it! Sneezles61

4 Likes

Looks good. I scrolled through back to #1 but didn’t find/overlooked your recipe. Can you post your recipe or is it proprietary?

!0 gallon batch…
10 oz C-120
10 lbs Marris Otter
10 lbs Pilsner
I adjust my well water to pH 5.8 with citric acid
1 hour BIAB mash
To the boil, 2 tbs Calcium Chloride
1-1/2 oz German Herkules 17.8%… (next time I’d use 1 oz)
3 oz Super Saazer 5 minutes…
Fermented 5 gallons with Kviek and the other 5 with WLP009 Australian…
I just kegged the WLP009 batch… which has been in the fridge over a week with a valve so it can’t just blow off CO2… I’ll let it settle down and later today pull a pint… curious… :grin: Sneezles61
PS, I didn’t fine with anything… I’m happy as it is!

Thank you @sneezles61 . I’m going to try to convert that to a partial mash or extract and give the yeast a try. Just have to. The picture makes it look so drinkable.

1 Like

I would target about 1.052-1.056 as an SG… You could do a mini mash with your C-malt… I’d be curious as to how it’d look with Bioclear… Sneezles61

I’ll weigh in again… So I’ve done a side by side comparison of the Kviek voss to WLP009… Hands down the WLP009 is better to my taste buds… The 009, is at either 8 or 9 gen repitch… Sneezles61

But your Australian ale yeast optimum temp range is even low for an ale yeast at 65-70F. You could use WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast at that range.

That 009 has been a great yeast… I believe I may get a bit nervous using past this generation… I will give Kviek another run, and at a much warmer temp… Maybe thats the sweet spot… Sneezles61

Try a different Kviek than Voss perhaps. I haven’t used that one so I cannot speak but I prefer Hornindal to Stranda. No 2 yeasts substitutes however. Brew your Aussie at 90F and compare then LOL.

Could you give a little more insight into what you liked better about the 09?

I’m honestly not sure I’m a big fan of MO. I’ve only used it in english style beers. I brewed quite a few variants of an ESB a few years ago and just felt like I’d lost the taste for it. Looking back at the recipes it was about the time I started useing MO or Golden Promise that I liked the ale less…

I"ve had the hornindahl IPA in cold storage for a couple weeks now I think. It’s next up in the rotation for the serving fridge. I DH’d it at room temp for 5 days or so then chilled it. Should be on gas but apparently I have a leak in the 5 lb rig…again… taking the 4 way distributor off there asap.

I’m just treating it like another IPA so it has to wait it’s turn and I haven’t been drinking much or had much company over recently. As soon as I get some CO2 into it I’ll taste it.

If you will, The MO is watered down with Pils… The yeast leaves a creamy malt flavor… I’ve enjoyed all the brews with this 009 yeast… And a few others have said the same… You can make it a bit crisp if you coax it… A strong fermenter… Blow off hose should be utilized… I have to look, but it might be available now… and if it is, I’ll drive an hour or a bit more to get some…
Now, back to my base… My next 10 gallon will use this grain bill, and I will split it, IPA first, aim for about 1.065, use the Kviek and put it up stairs where it stays about 75*… Then for the rest of the wort, water it down a wee bit and add a bit more C-40… Looking for about 1.050… I’ll probably whirlpool with cascades… the use 01… The base is working good with some solid results… Sneezles61

Five gallons of mine was dry hopped in the keg then put right into the fridge to carb. The rest primed and dry hopped at (warm) room temp. It will be interesting to see if there is a big difference between warm and cold dry hop.

I’m just into week two of carbonation and feel like a new home brewer not being able to wait until it’s done. I might have to stick a picnic tap on one of the primed kegs to see if it’s close. I got lazy/busy and I’m, sadly, out of home brew at this point and have been drinking swill. Now I need to get on the stick and brew more to get ahead!

1 Like

I’ve found that room temp for 5 day… there abouts… was much better than cold hopping… Sneezles61

2 Likes

Finally got around to kegging my Voss Kveik IPA batch today. 1.014 FG so that’s a little disapointing. tasted good…a little sweet. DH’d with one oz each of centennial, Citra and Simcoe. I’ll probably keg the Ho-Doll batch tomorrow.

Im currently brewing a Voss style beer.
The kveik was sent from Norway by a farmhouse brewer. He also sent a bottle of haimmabrigg that he made. Really amazing stuff!
Today I shall drink opskåkka and bottle it up.
Tastes of sweet orange and yeast. Lol
OG 1.092 and it is currently at 1.028.
Anybody else having any luck?
Fermenting at about 105F😬
Peace!

Wow 105F! Yeah I’ve had lots of luck. Voss is the one strain I have to try still.

1 Like