Kveik Yeast Discussion

Centennial is never a bad idea!

1 Like

Actually did send them today a message. About the manufacture date. They are working on this. They did say

So I’ve got like a month of non stop work… and that doesn’t include my home projects… So in the mean time, I’ll dream a bit about this grain bill I ran across this AM for an Australian sparkling ale.
For a 5 gallon batch it was 4 lbs pilsner, 4 lbs Marris Otter and 1/2 lbs C-40… This one used the down under hops… Not bad, but I’d rather American-ize it and use our hops… BUT… I’ll do a side X side using the 009 Australian and the Kviek… I do want to step up the Kviek so I have a fresh one to pull up later… This just seems like a good foot to start with… If need be … adjunct after the first test batch (10 gallons). Sneezles61

1 Like

1 Like

:dizzy_face: Sneezles61

So just over a week into fermentation, the Hornindal batch looks done, only remnants of Krausen on top of the beer with a firm flocculation of yeast on the bottom, although there’s still plenty of bubbles rising to the surface. It’s mostly cleared. Hothead and Voss have similar amounts of off-gassing, but much more turbid and quite a bit of Krausen remaining, but pretty much done. Maybe we’ll bottle this weekend.

1 Like

I plan to brew 10 gallons of IPA on Wednesday. I was thinking I’d do a 1 or 2 L starter with hornindal but maybe I’ll just pitch 5 gals with hornindal and 5 with Voss straight from the pack.

I’d be a bit nervous… Lets just say, something did go wrong… I would then wished I some some stashed away from the mother ship… Just me tho… Sneezles61

I think it’ll be fine. I pitched a mason jar over a year old directly in a batch of cider, and it took off within 24 hours. This stuff is incredibly robust. That being said, a starter is cheap insurance, and gives you some extra to store.

1 Like

bah! I’m goin’ for it. Planning to pitch about 85-90 degrees. Anyone with experience think I should use a blow off hose with either of these yeasts? Should be 5.25-5.5 gals in ale pail fermenters.

1 Like

How much do you dislike mopping the ceiling? :laughing:

I had 3.5 gallons wort in 5 gallon buckets. Hornindal and Voss were pushing Krausen into the airlocks the next morning. Hothead was doing the same the next day. Hothead was about 9 months old - the other two were fresh. Nothing exploded, but the potential was there.

1 Like

guess I’ll use a blow off hose…haha

This is good to know… I hope… maybe… well, we’ll see… :neutral_face: Sneezles61

Brrewed 10 gals of IPA this morning. Pitched 5 gals with hornindal and 5 with voss at 84 degrees. The plate chiller made short work of that. Recipe below if anyone’s curious. My usual IPA grist bill.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs 12.0 oz Briess 2 Row (1.8 SRM) Grain 1 68.5 %
5 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Dark (15.0 SRM) Grain 2 22.8 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
1.00 oz Centennial [7.80 %] - First Wort 20.0 mi Hop 4 8.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.00 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 5 14.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 6 14.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Chinook [11.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 28.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.00 oz Centennial [7.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 2.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 4.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 4.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Voss Kveik (Omega #OYL-062) Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Centennial [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [12.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Just to be safe! Thanks @porkchop

2 Likes

I hope you remembered to yell as you were pitching the yeast to scare away the trolls.

2 Likes

I rang a cow bell. Think that’ll work?

Speaking of pitching…It’s been so long since I brewed without a starter I was kind of shocked at the small volume of liquid yeast in those bags!

3 Likes

Absolutely… and the blue coolers will help.

It is amazing how little yeast comes originally when you’ve been harvesting and starting.
So under pitching really is a matter of perspective.

In the fermenters for 5-6 hours now. Both had a good head of foam from pumping fast and splashing to the fermenters. After a couple hours that foam had fallen back. Now 5-6 hours in the fermenters the hornindal has a gnarly looking krauesen on it, thick and foamy in places, slick and darker in others. The Voss has a nice level 1/2 foam cap on it.

I could easily see the hornindal blowing off if temps remain high. Bucket lids aren’t fastened down even with the blow off hose as a precaution and they’ve both already cooled to 78-79F. I think I’ll put a light over them to try and slow the cooling a little.

3 Likes

Pretty much my experience from a couple weekends ago with Hornindal. Had Krausen within an hour, but my batch was smaller. Apparently there are 8 strains in there, all competing for that sugary goodness!