Kveik Yeast Discussion

Lallemand is starting to sell Voss in dry form. I was told by LHBS that it was only available in Canada. Anyone with an account with them care to test if that is true?

Why is it taking so long… One of it traits is to be able to dry it out… I wonder if that snuffs out the unwanted bugs when it’s dried?
Sneezles61

Yea I mean…if it’s survived centuries by being dried on a piece of wood seems to me it would be easy to deliver in dry form.

Not saying this is absolutely the reason but often more strict health codes in the US hold up production/sales.

1 Like

So as I’m getting ready for AHA Big brewday Saturday, I’ll be using Omega Hothead as I couldn’t find Voss Kveik anywhere. Anything I need to know about using Kveik other than let it ride at higher temps? Package got a little swollen in shipping, but it’s been in the fridge since it arrived Tuesday. I’ll whip up a quick starter with some extra wort on brewday as has been my typical practice recently for liquid yeast starters and spin it up a few hours and plan to pitch before bed Saturday.

This will be my first time ever using it. I’ll be doing a whirlpool with my immersion chiller setup, where should I stop chilling at the end of the whirlpool? I would typically go to a bit under 70.

:beers:
Rad

Since temp isn’t such a big deal… Try 75*… I’m sure it’ll climb during wild fermentation.
Sneezles61

After I posted, I went and reread most of this beastly thread. I may skip the starter too and see how she goes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Rad

Yeah skip the starter and pitch hot and let it fall. :imp:

3 Likes

Sounds like a conversation about baseball. Missing baseball right now. Go Yankees!

2 Likes

Soccer. We’re having some pretty major soccer withdrawal around here. My wife especially, with no Premier League to watch.

@radagast how’s the Hothead going?

Lot off european brewers. Dry. Kviek them self. Or buy it in dryform.

1 Like

Off to the races this morning. I chilled to 90 and pitched directly with no starter. Fermometer reading about 74 so I turned on the heating pad underneath the carboy to try to heat it up a bit.

Rad

3 Likes

I have been wondering about these yeasts that ferment at such high temps. Even though I have used a few and never pushed 90° I never overdone it with any of the beer. This calls for an exbeeriment lol. Have any of you guys had a few too many and experienced the headache you would commonly have with the high fusel alcohol in warm fermented beer?

I’m not sure I drink any fussy brews… I do get a head ache when imbibing big brews… The first one just numbs the palate, brain and senses… Then they slip right down… Hence why I don’t have many anymore…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

I have drunk many Kveik beers and haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary. That is part of the charm of Kveik yeasts is that they do not product solvent like fusels at high temperatures and remain relatively clean. Pitching at the high temperatures is recommended for getting the fruity esthers.

2 Likes

on the family heriloom wooden necklace right?

2 Likes

My only experience with kveik was 10 gals of IPA split and fermented 5 gals with hornindal and 5 with voss both pitched at 80 and left at room temp 70ish. Fermented in 5 days I think. Certainly no fusels. Reasonably clean ale yeast fermentations both but remind me of english or irish ale yeasts that are just a bit too estery/minerally for my taste at present.

I’ve fermented belgian yeasts in the low 80s. I was terrified first time I did but man, I still have some #8 in bottles that’s freaking awesome at 7 years old.

1 Like

I just found this site…

https://www.kveiktraining.com/home

and low and behold… for sale…

The Learn More page is a great read

3 Likes

I saw this a while ago and they were trying to show how to make one… I’ll bet them old scanda-hoovians used birch… Way up there next to the North Pole!
Sneezles61

1 Like