Kveik Yeast Discussion

What temp did you pitch it in the fermenter?

Pitching temp was 78°. After I wrote that post I check the SG. It had already dropped 20 gravity points.

Amazing. I pitched my Voss at 95 degrees last time and the yeast seemed perfectly happy. No off flavors that I can detect at bottling

1 Like

My Hornindal strain just went from 1.071 to 1.011 in 3 days. So fun to watch.

1 Like

Me still amazed about. Kviek.

I thought I’d add my inputs on the Kveik yeast (Omega Hothead Ale). My recent batch is an amber ale BIAB. I pitched right after transferring from the kettle to the fermentation bucket as the wort had a nice head of bubbles (well aerated) and was at 96F (a few degrees off of the high end for the Hothead strain from Omega). I pitched 2 pouches of yeast per the cell count (per the Beersmith 3 recommendations versus a starter), put the airlock in and put it in the closet at ~85F room temp. Within 3-4 hours the airlock was going crazy and the next morning there was a 2 inch krausen. Within 3 days the gravity dropped from 1.053 to 1.014. I never worried about the temp, which is nice here in AZ with daytime temps @ 110F. The bucket temps hung around 88F during the 3 days of active fermentation.
I’ve since moved it to the secondary and took it out of the closet to sit at 78F for the last 10 days. I checked it today and it’s at 1.012 and I’m bottling tomorrow. The Hothead is thrives at the high temps and I was surprised when tasting it today how clean and crisp it tasted. There were no off-tastes, nothing.
This is a great yeast for a beginner like me living in a hot desert region. Next I’m going to try the Voss H. strain from Omega.

1 Like

Sanitize a 4 oz jar and save a couple of tablespoons of yeast slurry…Pour about a 1" hoppy beer cap on your yeast… Put some Saran Wrap with a rubber band to keep other bugs out and place in the fridge… Now your saving some money and expanding your brewing potential! Sneezles61

1 Like

I just screw on a sanitized lid. But I second @sneezles61.

1 Like

Or sanitize a quart jar and just pour in the whole cake…

1 Like

I’ve done this and CO2 coming out of solution actually ‘popped’ the lid and exposed the slurry to O2 as well as anything in the air. With the Saran Wrap you get some give as it will stretch and if any residual fermentation happens the jar won’t blow.

2 Likes

That has happened to me once and the yeast explosion left me cleaning the ceiling. However, my fridge is shared with a very active family so anything less than locked in with metal will be lost in a few days.

I just screw the jar lid a little loose. After it’s been in there a while and I’m feeling and brave I crank it down. You would think the cold temp would slow or stop fermentation at least a little but I had a jar hiss at me once when opened.

I have three Kviek type strains that made the trip from Florida to NY in a cooler that are OK using that method .

1 Like

Not a good sign if you have fermenation happening after harvest.

1 Like

Didn’t say it was fermentation. The gravity was steady at 1.010 for over a week. It was dissolved CO2 that came out of solution. The yeast came from a lager and sat out for a little bit as I kegged and cleaned my conical. One thing to remember is that those canning lids are pretty flimsy.

I brewed today using the Imperial Loki A43 yeast. This is a kviek strain. I pitched at the very high end of 100F. The wort was very aerated with a layer of foam and an hour after pitching I’ve got bubbles in the airlock and a nice krausen starting to form. I’m using my new big bubbler and like being able to see what’s happening.

It’s sitting in the closet and reads in the mid-90’s F right now. The room temp in the closet is a toasty 80-85F depending on the time of day. With my day time temps in the 110’s and my HVAC keeping the house at a nice 80F the kveik yeast seem to be the way to brew here in the summer.

1 Like

Put it out in the garage and let it really rock.

What’s the beer?

1 Like

I call it my AZ Copper Ale (I’m an ale person). I came up with a simple recipe:

9.5 lbs 2 Row
1.5 lbs Copper Carapils
Cascade hops @60 mins
Citra hops @15 mins and @5 mins

I just looked and it’s going strong. The krausen is about an inch thick and the airlock is going crazy.

Not judging but almost 14% carapils copper malt is quite a bit. Of course you may have made this before and added enough bittering charge of cascade to balance it.

1 Like

Now we are buttering our brews? Loopie, we are going places I never thought of for brewing… As Brew Cat sez, if he sez buttering, we are buttering… :nerd_face: Sneezles61

That is a lot of carapils. What were you hoping to get from it? I’ve never used more than a few ounces of carapils even in 10 gal batches, just for head retention. Could impact your FG due to the fact that it’s not highly fermentable.