Kveik Yeast Discussion

I’ll brew another batch this W/E… I plan to use only Kviek Voss… I seem to enjoy it more as it “lagered”… Sneezles61

1 Like

Tasted my Hornindal Pale Ale yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. It’s been in a keg at about 35F. Very nice initial aroma of light citrus and stone fruit. Pretty clear but not as clear as my IPAs with American Ale yeast. Nice flavor, fruity with some light dank/funk overtones as compared to pale ale with American Ale yeast.

About half way through the glass it seemed to lose some aroma and take on a kind of oxidized or light skunked aroma and flavor. Drinkable but less pleasant that the first few sips. This was in the evening so there was no sunlight, just a few LEDs on in the family room.

The pint did have a little trub/hops in solution since I hadn’t pulled many pints from the keg yet. I’ll give it another try soon to see if it’s more stable in the glass.

1 Like

I’m about half way through my keg and its fine… I have 5 more to putz with yet… After my nap… :expressionless: Sneezles61

I was worried because in my haste I forgot to shake my pack of Voss. When I dumped you could still see large clumps of yeast in the bottom. I got out what I could and hoped for the best. For those of you with experience with the Kveik strains you know that the conclusion of the story is that I had nothing to worry about. 12 hours later my airlock was empty because of all the activity.
I pitched this Voss at 90 degrees. While at my LHBS was given a NEIPA with Kveik pitched at 90F and it was great. The owner said Omega came to the shop to give a lecture and that is what they suggested. We shall see.

I’m still amazed at these strains. Used to be you struggled to get your wort cool enough to pitch. With Kveik you have to be careful not to get it too cool. Then at fermentation temps that would usually make for a beer that tastes like turpentine you get a nice crisp flavor with no off flavors.

I’ve still got some in the fridge… I didn’t pitch mine that high… Anxiety won’t allow me too… Heck… I don’t think Mn even gets that warm! :joy: Perhaps this summer when the IPA’s are flowing… I’ll need to try. Sneezles61

24 hours later and my 90F pitch is starting to slowdown in activity. Had to refill the airlock again.

I pitched my harvested Voss yeast for my Off The Topper double ipa kit. Pitched at 87F and 5 hours later it is off to the races.

1 Like

Somebody uses delightful to describe a beer or food an I’m in! Seriously, sounds great!

1 Like

Unfortunately… its kicked… a long long time ago, in another year… Sneezles61

I tried to post a video of the blow-off bottle the bubbles are coming out like machine gun fire

1 Like

Nice and warm! Just picked up some Omega Voss Kviek. Looking forward to playing with it.

2 Likes

Pitched this Kveik at 95F yesterday and activity is amazing. The smells coming out are like a donut shop built on the burial ground of Captain Crunch

1 Like

You might like it.

Don’t know how you came up with that description but I like it.

1 Like

I didn’t know Cap’n Crunch was DEAD!!!

1 Like

See, that’s how these rumors get started!

4 Likes

I have seen him since I was like 14… I just assumed.

Finally got around to dabbling with this yeast, Omega Voss Kviek. Have it in the fermenter right now at 84°. This yeast is a beast. Made a starter and pitched it at about 10pm. By 5am the next day there was a massive krausen. Pitched the starter at around 3pm yesterday and by 9pm I had a small krausen forming.

1 Like