Kveik Yeast Discussion

This one has been around for awhile. Lol
Hes pretty old school. Hes been documenting a lot if it and sending the footage. Last time he sent a bottle of homebrew with an SD card taped to the side of it. Hes awesome! Lol
Heres his set up…

2 Likes

looks pretty legit.

1 Like

I’m tasting my Voss Dog IPA. This recipe. SunDog IPA named after our old cat Sunny, is basically the adapted to my IPA grain bill Union Jack clone recipe I’ve been brewing for a few years. I split the 10 gal batch and pitched voss to 5 and hornindal to 5 at 84 degrees. Kept it in the 80s for about 36 hours then let it go. It settled to room temp of around 70 after 48 hours. Both finished at 1.014 after a month or so in the fermenter. The Voss got 1 oz ea of centennial, citra and simcoe dryhopped at room temp for about a week before chilling, and has been on gas in the cooler for about a week now.

Not quite fully carbed yet but drinkable. Small head, poor retention, zero lacing…hopefully will improve when fully carbed.

Clarity is not quite what I’d get with 1272 fermented IPAs but not hazy at all.

Aroma is subdued fruity but there’s still some yeasty aroma to it as well.

No noticeable difference in mouthfeel from the usual 1272 IPA.

Flavor…hmmm…I bittered with Chinook which I haven’t done for a while. If I’d been thinking more scientifically I would have bittered with the normal magnum so I could compare this to the usual IPA. Anyway…not quite as bitter but the chinook could esplain the kind of dank flavor I’m picking up and initially attributed to the yeast… Very mild fruity flavor and what I thought was a little funk but again…could be the chinook bittering hops. This beer got 3oz/34 IBU FWH and 28 IBU bittering hops. It should have a little bite like my usual IPAs but it doesn’t and with the aroma haps hardly making an appearince I have to blame the yeast…

I’ll give this beer a few more weeks on gas before I judge it further but at this point I doubt I’ll use Voss in an IPA again.

The Horninal version was kegged last week. Tasted a bit more bitter when I kegged it so we’ll see.

I’d like to give this another shot at warmer temps to see if the yeast performs better with regard to attenuation but I don’t want to waste a bunch more hops on it if they’re going to be nulled out.

Never got funk from bittering with Chinook. But I agree I’d rather use nugget or Magnum

Now there is an old school/original doings… So entertain me… Whats the thinking with the dragons?
So, your getting your Kviek straight from the horse… er Scandahoovian? Your in Wi.? This is crazy stuff… Do you follow this tradition or just kinda wing it? Sneezles61

@sneezles61,
I have to give the credit to Chip Walton of Chop&Brew.
He set up a page for patreon supporters of C&B and Ivar is one of the folks Ive been corresponding with.
Ivar sent some kveik to Chip, and I was lucky enough to get my grubby paws on it!
We did a live tasting video for Ivar. Heres photo of it. Im in the back between Chip and Bryon.
Pretty sure there will be an episode about it at some point.
As far as the dragon/horses…they are beer cups called kjenje. The cups with 2 handles are for drinking and there are other cups with one handle for drinking opskåk. Opskåk is taken straight from the fermenter and shared with your buddies on the 3rd day of fermentation.
Ivar has taught me how to do it and he is super pumped to see it being done over here.

2 Likes

Another IPA bubbling away this time with Voss. 1/2 gallon starter split into 10, 5 and 5 gallons (actual yield was 19 gallons) Temp has been steady at 78° since pitching yesterday afternoon.

A couple of things I have noticed about Kveik. It does not have a violent fermentation even at high temps that would make many explode. The few I have done have come out very clear without much attention to it except Whirlfloc.

1 Like

If you do podcasts’ then go to master brewers… They have one about Kviek… Actually quite interesting discussion. Sneezles61

My APA with Kviek is now on tap… I did dry hop to recover some of the hop aroma that was kicked out… Its actually quite good! I’ll post a picture later in the picture of your brew post’… Sneezles61

@sneezles61
Great podcast. My friend Ivar sent the link a couple days ago. He loves to spread the kveik. Lol
Wild stuff, man.
I did a Challenger hopped IPA and it is turning out awesome so far. Fermented @ 105 to start. I wrapped sleeping bags and other heavy blankets around the fermenter.
Aroma is pretty much nil, but I’m going to throw some ekg and fuggles in it today.
I also have the crabapple wine fermenting with it as well.
Started that at room temp, so we’ll see how it performs. Ambient has been 65-85f.
We shall see what happens…
Cheers,
Dano

1 Like

So if you read the other threads you’ll know my keg of APA, with the Kviek yeast froze… Not enough to disform the keg… thank gambrinus… Its thawed and enjoyed a few pints last night… So now tonight the keg is at 45*… The flavor is just amazing! The hops are some what softened… but in the background… A nice, soft, beautiful orange that it finishes with… I can’t tell you if the freezing caused this or if it just morphed… Its only 4.7%… very… delightful! Sneezles61

3 Likes

Thread bump. Still one the fence as to which may favorite yeast is. I’m going to possible mix the Hornidal and Voss together and let them decide for me as my house Kviek Strain.

Funny you mentioned that. We are about to go on our yearly migration south for the winter and I have a jar of each in the fridge. I was thinking of just tossing it and order new when we get there or maybe just mixing a little of each and take one small container.

You can just smear some on a paper of some sort, let it dry and rehydrate once you get down there… I wonder if parchment paper would do best… Sneezles61

Just dip your family heirloom wooden necklace into it @hd4mark and hang it on the porch to dry. Leave the necklace in the FL place over the summer. You’re set for generations to come.

3 Likes

Only kind of yeast i do use here on bonaire.

I’m still amazed how careful we brewers are to keep our yeast in such sanitary conditions yet this yeast has survived for hundreds of years on things like a piece of paper. It could be the old ways are the best ways.

I don’t have any parchment paper handy. Do you think Zig-Zag would work? :wink:

3 Likes

As long as you remember which one is inoculated! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

Just dont try in smoke it :grin:lol

1 Like

So all 3 of my kvieks are mixed together and off on a job. Once again they impress, productivity-wise. 3 hours after pitching I have a huge krausen

1 Like