KOLSH+Orange?

Anybody added orange to secondary in a KOLSH?? Never had one, but just brewed my first… Just curious

1 Like

No, but why not. I usually add citrus at the end of the boil only because, well just because that’s when I add it.

1 Like

I haven’t done that yet but have thought about it. Be sure to add orange peel, not just oranges. The peel is what will add the flavor. If you zest it, even better, just soak it on some vodka before throwing it into the secondary.

1 Like

So I should use only zest right? As I’ve never done this before, how much should I use? And if I zest it, do I soak in vodka before or after I zest the peels… Obviously I’ve never done this before!!:joy::joy::joy::joy:

I would say you zest first, then soak in some vodka, then throw it all into the secondary together. My opinion would be to do a little at first, like a few tablespoons of zest, then taste after a few days to a week. Then you can add more. Best way to do it when you aren’t sure. You can always add more but you can’t take it out. If you are making a lager, like a Kolsh usually is, then you should have some time as the beer is cold conditioning.

I recently made a vanilla porter. I added a few beans, waited a week, then added some more. Worked out okay, but I just over did it a little bit.

1 Like

A kolsh is actually an ale but your right about the lagering.

So here we are… Bottling day!! I zested the KOLSCH with 5 tbsp orange zest one week ago after transferring to secondary, it smells awesome! Taste is light hint… Perfect I think. Can’t wait to see how turns out!! Will update in few weeks!! Thanks to all who threw out their advice and experiences !!

1 Like

So as we all know, patience is overrated!! Lol had to try the kolsch today, and wow!! Super citrus aroma!! And only after five days of conditioning wonderfully carbonated… Taste? Mmmmmm… Way better than I expected in 5 days!! I’m hoping things can only get better… Excellent lil beer. My wife hates beer and SHE actually likes it…hmmmm… Time to lock he conditioning closet!!

1 Like

That’s great, always exciting when you can make a new beer and it comes out as you expect it, if not better!

I have added peel to the boil…got a light hint.
Added zest to the secondary and went over board…too much orange
Now I just add a thin slice to the glass and for me, it’s just right.