Knock down cloudy beer

So, I made a Belgium Blonde Ale (Leffe Blonde clone…T-58 yeast) , that all went well Fermentation stopped, I have a FastFerment conical fermenter, I pulled the trub from the bottom, I put in gelatin, let it sit for 4 days at room temp (I don’t have any where to get that cold.) Pulled the trub again before kegging and I kegged it tonight, and it is hazy, hazy hazy… So it is sitting in a Corney keg, under pressure.

What is the best way to clear this up now? Can I ? Can I add gnetin again? Put in fridge and let sit (I have room in a fridge for a corney keg). would I have to move it from one keg to another? … all three?

Will it clear up better under pressure or not?

TIA

I do that if I want a clear brew… Keg… Chil… Add gelitan … The first pint or two are thick… And it takes time to really clear up… But the same thing happens when you wait… It’ll eventually clear up…
In a hurry? Get a ceramic mug… It works so well…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I would wait bit longer. Let it stand in your keg. It will clean up

Sounds like your in a hurry. Clear beer takes time. I make crystal clear beer and don’t use gelatin. You are cold crashing in the keg. Give it 2 weeks in the keg. Don’t do any of that shaking the keg nonsense

3 Likes

Shake-shake-shake… Shake yer keg!!! :joy: :mask:
Sneezles61

I am not in a hurry, just frustrated.

I’ll pop it in the fridge.

So just to be clear (haha)… cold then gelatin, while staying cold, then carbonation…

1 Like

Yes. Gelatin works best at colder temps. I have heard (and done) under 50 degrees. It allows the proteins to clump together better when in a colder environment.

1 Like

I tried gelatin once. Wasn’t really impressed then couldn’t enjoy the beer anyways

1 Like

I’m with @brew_cat you don’t need no stinkin’ gelatin. Follow good process and then get it cold. It will clear up.

2 Likes

Any one try that gizmo on the liquid side… Goes into the keg… Has a bobber to keep the suction end of it near the top through out the imbibing process?
Sneezles61

I find that if one drinks in the dark it doesn’t matter how clear your beer is.

6 Likes

When you add hops to an extract boil (I guess same with all grain), do you bag them or toss them in loose? I would guess bagging them would help keep it clean, right? I haven’t been overly concerned in the past, but finally got my first 2 kegs set up, so I’m also looking to figure out how to clean up the presentation a bit. I’m wide open for recommendations.

Either is fine. I just throw them in free range.

So: I typically bag my grains and hops, but I got a hop spider to clean that up.
Also, I tried throwing the gelatin in the keg, and after a few pints of slime, it came out pretty clear… though it was tough pouring out the beer-gelatin-slime. … for the record it seems that the stuff pulled out by the gelatin is more yeast then hops/grain…

I have a basket for the BK…it keeps the big chunks contained…the fine stuff still gets through but I don’t worry too much…
I have in the past, cold crash the brew, push into the keg with CO and added gelitan then… Seems to clear quite fast…
But again, I don’t worry… Brewers yeast is good for you anyways… Look at the supplement vitamins… Chock full of B-vitamins… Thank you Brewers yeast!!
Sneezles61

I’ve used 5 gal paint strainer bags for hops in the boil for years. Just recently got a stainless hop basket for same. I mainly do that because I harvest the yeast.

1 Like