Kit Prices

Is it just me or have kits gone up in price? I like the NB kits but is there a place to get them for less? My first choice is my local home brew supply when they have a sale.

Hmm. Compared to when? What time period are we talking about?

Kits are the most expensive way to brew. Buy ala carte and repitch your yeast

1 Like

Yes, they raised a bunch of prices, not just kits. I noticed around the time they updated shipping prices.

Just out of curiosity what do they sell a simple pale ale kit for with say 3oz of hops.

I think it depends on the kit. Very simple kits are expensive. I like the “Garden Hoe”, which is $44 w/ no yeast but a la cart is $49.

$32 not including yeast. Might be a couple bucks less if you bought everything separate.

That’s pricey.

I was wondering when I would learn what “disruptive” meant in “ZX Ventures, the disruptive growth unit of AB InBev”. I thought InBev’s size was going to reduce prices at NB after the purchase. Truth is everything is about to get more expensive.

In the winter I brew kits and try to always wait for an NB sale. Usually something like buy two and get another free kind of deal. It pushes the cost down more towards $20 a kit. If they quit those sales I will shop around for ingredients and build my own. Last winter I got yeast for the first kit and reused it until spring with only a couple of exceptions.

Midwest had a lower flat rate shipping than NB a short time ago. Higher prices at the time made up for the lower flat rate. Now if you buy two kits from NB you are paying the $7.99 flat rate shipping with the price increase on each kit even though shipping is free. This is going to hurt the bank account if I brew the same amount.

$20/kit sounds reasonable even buy bulk costs me close to $15 but $30+ is getting up there. No way would I pay $40 for a five gallon kit. But im on a budget.

Worth shopping around…This is 1oz short of hops but even includes dry yeast. Price war!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Compared to SMASH AMERICAN SESSION ALE of almost same OG at $29.99 from NB. NBs’ does include an extra ounce of hops for dry hopping.

$7 for an extra oz ? That’s $30 for a 4.7 ABV beer. That’s ridiculous. You guys gotta go BIAB. Grain for that would cost about $10

1 Like

Yeah the only kit I buy is the Plinian Legacy because, after adding in cost of all the fancy hops(and trying to source hopshots), about 5 dollars more from LHBS. And it is sooooo good.
The NB price didn’t seem to change much for this kit…or did it?

I buy this annually. Just for reference purposes, it’s currently on the site at $49 without yeast and free shipping. I’ll keep yeast out of these numbers:

I bought on the May the 4th be with you discount (15%) for $45.99 down to $39.10 this year with free shipping as part of the sale.

I bought on a 20% discount sale in 2016 $51.51 down to $41.20

I bought on a 15% discount sale in 2015 $51.51 down to $43.78

I bought the extract kit before I converted to AG in 2014 for $45.45.

As you can see, I’m with @voodoo_donut, I rather enjoy this beer. :innocent: The kit went up $5 but comes with free shipping, whereas if I hadn’t bought on a sale this year, I’d have paid the $7.99 shipping so technically it increased, but is still less. It’s also still less than it sold for in 2015 and 2016.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Yeah even in europe the kits went up. Before i went to all grain. After buying kits for a while. I decided to buy every thing separte. And in bulk. Much cheaper òn the end

Can’t pass on this one…These are some pretty good kits too.

Couldn’t pass it up either. Didn’t think I would ever brew another Hefeweizen but their kit contains grains of paradise. Maybe that ingredient will make the difference.