Kieselsol Crystallized in Packet - Can it be Rehydrated/Used?

Hi all -
I am pretty new to winemaking, and starting with kits as I learn the process. Just received my ‘Small Batch Starter Kit’ and began a 1-gallon batch of Cabernet (the recipe/ingredient kit included with the starter kit of equipment).
As I was checking on the wine today I took a second look through the packets that came with the kit, and discovered that the Kieselsol packet contains dried crystals of what I presume used to be liquid Kieselsol.
Can this be rehydrated and used, or, should I avoid using it and get a fresh packet to use?
Thank you in advance!
Holly

I never used it but from what I read it should be crystalized. Are you saying its solid? Either way it’s probably fine since it needs to be disolved anyways. Personally I’ve never used any type of fining agent in wine. I don’t even use sulfates. I’m patient and it clears. Wine only gets better with time. How quick are they saying to bottle?

1 Like

Hi brew_cat, thanks for weighing in so quickly!
The Kieselsol that I have encountered in all my other wine kits to date, has been in liquid form. This packet has what looks like dried pieces of the fining agent (definitely not liquid; I used the term ‘crystallized’ as it is crystal clear and in small pieces, almost looking like broken glass - thinner/finer of course).
If using it by rehydrating with a bit of warm water won’t affect its action, I’d be fine doing that, but I do not have enough expertise (yet) to know.
The kits allow for bottling after a minimum of 28 days. Everything the instructions say to do is guided by specific gravity readings, with repeated caution to be patient, wait for the fermentation to be done before racking/degassing/stabilizing, wait patiently until clear for a minimum of 14 days after fermentation completes (and then rack/wait again if necessary, never bottling wine that isn’t fully cleared).
Do you think the Kieselsol will function as intended, given that it somehow dried out within its plastic packet?
Holly

Well I’m not sure but it probably would but if you’re nervous order some more. Maybe if you buy some in bulk you will have it on hand for the future. Like I said I haven’t used it before. I’ve never bottled a wine that quick. I’ve tasted my wine when I rack it and it does improve over time as well as clear naturally. I think fruit wine and white grape wine can be rushed which I have done but red grape wine needs time IMO.

1 Like

I contacted Northern Brewer; they sent out a replacement right away, and it arrived today. So pleased with the service.

1 Like