Kama Citra- one week bottled

So I always try my brews at one week just to see. And this kama Citra is wonderful! Already carbonated perfectly… Awesome flavor. But. Curious. All my brews are darker than what I see them being, whether in add pic, or on this forum… My Kama Citra is dark… Is this normal? Was dark when brewed. Looks… Almost like my caribou slobber… Is there something that causes this?? Orrrr?

Adding all of the extract at the beginning of the boil is one reason for the beer being darker. Heating sugars results in darkening, aka the Maillard Reaction. Adding most of the extract late, especially the LME, will result in a lighter color. Add the late extract with 10 to 15 minutes left in the boil time.

Beginning the boil with a wort with an approximate SG of 1.038 will keep hop oil isomerization at the optimum level. Roughly 1 pound of LME per gallon in the boil. Eight tenths of a pound per gallon for DME.

Roger that! I really love this beer and plan on doing it again very soon! Just would like a lighter presentation!! Makes sense. I truly have to give a shout out to this whole group… All of you have helped immensely in my brew-learning this was also my first attempt at full boil. Cheers gentleman!

1 Like

Like what flars said indeed adding the total lme makes it darker. So i do add 1/2of the lme. And the rest about 20 min before end of boil irish moss 15 min before end of boil

1 Like

Good information there, will try this on next brew… Well, the one after that… Next will be a stout👍🏻

How come recipe indicates it has to be added fully at the beginning of boil? I will definitely try it out as you say to get beer that’s clearer. (This is my first post!!)

How come recipe indicates it has to be added fully at the beginning of boil? I will definitely try it out as you say to get beer that’s clearer. (This is my first post!!)

I think, as this forum starts to answer this question, they will tell you … Because the instructions are wrong!! Lol that they are basic instructions. And these Brewers have learned and tweaked recipes, procedures… There is a lot of knowledge on brewing in this forum. They have helped me immensely!! But… On that note, NEVER BE AFRAID TO QUESTION SOMETHING!!! Welcome, and brew on!!

Glad I decided to look at the blogs. This is an interesting conversation, I am curious as to whether or not adding the LME at the end of the boil changes the outcome of the finished beer, anyone ever have a chance to compare 2 of the same brews done both ways at the same time? If not I may find out when I brew couple of batches of cream ale next couple weeks.

This article on late extract additions may be of interest: (How to Start Food Truck Business in 2024). Also, @flars has done some good posts on this in the past.