Just sampled my first brew (continued)

Hi all,

I took some very good advice from some of you, and have to say my first shot at brewing was a success. My first try was with a gallon size of Caribou Slobber, and followed the directions to a “T”. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks in the bottle. Chilled a couple of bottles over night, and found the first bottle to be flat. So, taking your advice, I let the bottles sit and condition for another 1 1/2 weeks, then chilled for 3 days. Perfect! Nice head, great flavor! Interesting to note, the other bottle that I put in the fridge after 2 weeks, I opened after about 3 days, and it too was really well carbonated and tasted great. So, some lessons learned, and thanks to all for the advice. I just bottled my second brew, White House Honey Porter, and plan to give that 21-28 days to condition in the bottles. Hope to be successful a second time!

2 Likes

Patience is a virtue especially wnen it comes to homebrewing. Rarely is it a significant mistake to wait a little longer, but doing almost anything too early with brewing usually ends badly.

Sounds like you’re having fun and that’s the most important part!

2 Likes

If you use one or two PET plastic bottles you can feel them getting carbonated without opening any of the glass bottles. Un-flavored seltzer bottles work or you can buy PET bottles made for homebrew.

We just had a discussion somewhere her about the time it takes to carbonate in bottles. My thoughts are that like most things homebrew, waiting is better. Three weeks seems to do the trick better for me rather than two.

1 Like