Is Cider a Healthy Drink?

Just made my first batches of cider and it got me thinking. Basically this stuff is just apple juice without sugar so it’s got to be good for you! Every nutritional advice I’ve ever gotten says two or three servings of fruit a day including fruit juice. Nailed it!
:yum: :wink:

2 Likes

If only that were the case. The founding fathers drank a lot of cider. If you consider that during their era the average life expectance was below 40 and the signers of our declaration of independence averaged to live 66 years you may be onto something. Mostly likely the truth of cider is that you are taking out all the healthy parts and making the unhealthy part even more unhealthy haha.

1 Like

Not actually true. You are taking out the sugar only which is not that good for you in large quantities but neither is the alcohol so it’s a wash. A glass or 2 of cider a day is healthy. So along with the health benefits of a glass or 2 of beer and a couple glasses of red wine you should be good. I’ve heard 1 shot o wiskey a day also has some benefits. I don’t drink that much in a day

One Finnish study recommended 5 drinks a day… Love those Fins!

2 Likes

A gallon of beer keeps the dr away

2 Likes

You are taking out all the fiber as well. As long as you don’t pasteurize the cider I suppose you can maintain some of the vitamin content but any boiling or storage at warm temperatures greatly effects the vitamin content. Orange Juice looses 11% of it’s vitamin C in just 7 days storage at 40 dergrees C.

1 Like