Is a spunding valve recommended when brew New England ipa?

Hello I been reading about these New England ipa in this month BYO an the majority of the recipe call for using a spunding valve. Now can New England ipa be brew without these spunding valve?.

I don’t see any reason why you can’t either force carbonate or add priming sugar to condition in the keg.

Unless there is some rule that a New England IPA is naturally carbonated without priming it, I don’t see why the taste will be different.

All a spunding valve seems to do is trap the CO2 from the final stage of fermentation and keep it at your desired pressure to carbonate.

The only possible reason might be to help keep it cloudy some how.

1 Like

I think there’s a school of thought that by fermenting under pressure, some of the volatile aromatic compounds may be less likely to dissipate or escape. I do not have any first hand experience tho.

I make a NEIPA and don’t use a spunding valve and mine is cloudy as hell. I use alot of hops in the fermenter and also in the keg. When I keg I transfer a little yeast over. If there are rules I’m breaking I’ll just call it a mock NEIPA. It comes out great IMO

1 Like