IPA's and IBU's

Interesting read…

This isn’t “new”. At least not to most. I’m surprised they didn’t give an account in regards to IBUS in Beer that are in accurate. Many go simply by a formula and not by an actual chemistry calculation. Theoretical and actual measurements can differ greatly.

1 Like

Me just go by experience. Try to stay around 40 to 60 ibu. Depends on the hops as well

I like the “Ground it, Round it, Pound it” approach for IPA’s.
IBU’S are way over 100 but not overly bitter.

Ground it. Most IBU’S early in the boil.
Round it. Small middle charge.
Pound it. Huge whirlpool, huge dry hop.
10-12 oz. total or more if you like!

2 Likes

I brewed a Pliny “clone” twice before and the IBU’s were calculated at over 200 when I plugged it in my app. I like bitter and this beer was not bitter enough for me, in fact, I didn’t like it either time I brewed it. If Pliny tastes anything like my version then I don’t know what the hype is about. That said, I don’t trust or worry about my IBU’s anymore and like @wilcolandzaat brew from experience and good notes. I just thought the article was interesting.
@wallybeer I love that approach and your play on words for it.

Your experience with a Pliny clone is interesting. I had Pliny long before I started brewing and in general, felt like at the time it was the best of the bunch of West Coast IPA’s. Do you like that style(Sculpin, Stone, green flash come to mind)? And the hop profile I get in the finished(NB Plinian Legacy) product is definitely a bit dank. Strong presence of Columbus and Simcoe hops which I like but some don’t…

I know the NB kit is pretty close, but not exact to V. Cilurzo’s most recent published iterations. It’s pretty good and the only kit I buy, as I can’t source the ingredients any cheaper on my own for a big West Coaster.(especially with the occasional 20% off with free shipping :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Plinian Legacy has been a regular in my summer rotation along with Off the Topper 4 years running. Put side by side I’d desribe Plinian Legacy more bitey bitter and Off the Topper a bit softer (dare I use the word) juicier. My app calculates 162 IBU for Plinian and 125 for Off the Topper. I love them both, and having tried both of the originals, I’m quite happy with both clones enough so that I don’t need to seek either original out anymore. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

I thought the same with my experience. I used the recipe that Vinnie supposedly put out, bottled the 1st batch and kegged the 2nd thinking there might be a difference but it was not. I’m a huge fan of the west coast style and Sculpin is one of my favorite easy to get beers. Simcoe is also my favorite hop so I don’t know what the issue was.

@radagast I still enjoy the bite in my IPA’s but these Juicy brews have definitely taken over my taste preferences. I’ve done the Heady clone that was published in BYO a couple times and it came out pretty good. I have 4 beers on tap right now (all NEIPA’s) with similar grain bills but different hop combos. All are solid except for the combo containing Summit…

Interesting article…well at least the part I skimmed…haha. They lost me early on because I feel like it’s all about common sense honestly. Sure I can create a beer with a gazillion IBU but if it’s all late hops of course it won’t be “bitter”.

I create my IPA by feel and experience along with what my palate likes as others have stated. I’m usually in the 25-35ish IBU range with 60 minute bittering hops. A little higher if I use first wort hops. Then I focus more on “pounding” it later. Last few IPAs haven’t had in middle boil hops to speak of. I feel like the FWH replaces the 20-30 mins addition with more flavor and a bit of additional bittering.

[quote=“brewmanchu, post:5, topic:25714, full:true”]
I brewed a Pliny “clone” twice before and the IBU’s were calculated at over 200 when I plugged it in my app.[/quote]

That’s my point. There’s calculated and then there’s measured. It’s not out of the ordinary to have a total different number of IBUS when comparing calculated to measured.

[quote=“brewmanchu, post:5, topic:25714, full:true”]
I brewed a Pliny “clone” twice before and the IBU’sI like bitter and this beer was not bitter enough for me, in fact, I didn’t like it either time I brewed it.[/quote]

Can’t speak to your recipe, but reportedly the threshold is 100IBUS. So by this theory you wouldn’t be able to differentiate between 100 or 200.

Maybe in terms of straight up bitterness, but a beer brewed to 200 IBU is going to have a lot more hop material in it, and it will certainly change the flavor. It might not be noticeably more bitter, but the hops contribute other flavors beyond bitterness, and those flavors will be more pronounced. Extreme example, I make a RIS with 200+ calculated IBU with a pound of EKG in a 5 gallon boil, and although it’s potently bitter, it also has a huge punch-in-the-face hop character that you wouldn’t get with half the hops and IBU.