IPA?

I want to do an IPA soon and really like Ranger from New Belgium. Is there a NB kit that is close to this?

Look for an American IPA kit, it will have the citrusy hops used in Ranger. The Chinook, Face Puncher or Dead Ringer are three possibilities.

FWIW, I did a side-by-side with Chinook and Ranger, and while Chinook is enjoyable, everything is very subdued compared with Ranger.

AG??

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=103027&p=923917&hilit=ranger#p923917

If not, maybe you could substitute some DME or LME for the 2-row

AG??

If not, maybe you could substitute some DME or LME for the 2-row[/quote]

sadly i can’t do AG because i dont have the space yet,i have a conversion for AG to extract out of a clone book. So how does one culture the yeast out the bottle?

i was also thinking abought deadringer until i thought about making a ranger clone

AG??

If not, maybe you could substitute some DME or LME for the 2-row[/quote]

sadly i can’t do AG because i dont have the space yet,i have a conversion for AG to extract out of a clone book. So how does one culture the yeast out the bottle?[/quote]
You can’t. Ranger doesn’t bottle condition their beers so there are no yeast to culture. I would use a clean, highly attenuating yeast like US-05. Also, I think Wyeast carries a Phat Tyre yeast that is supposed to be the New Belgium strain but it may be a seasonal or limited release type thing.

I’ve been eyeing this recipe for awhile now. I think it’s time I stop by the LHBS and get the ingredients. I do extract also and would like to see how this turns out.

Hmmm i had read on another forum that as long as the beer was not pasuturized or filtered you could cuture it. I’m looking at switching to MIAB now. It doesn’t seem all that far off from extract.

It’s closer to AG than to extract since you are doing a mash. You are just mashing in the boil kettle with all your water and not doing a sparge. Essentially just a really long steep at a very specific temperature. You don’t really need additional equipment from extract brewing though. A boil kettle big enough to hold a full boil (6-6.5 gallon) and large strainer bag or cheese cloth.

BTW found some good info from New Belgium’s website on Ranger:
ABV - 6.5%
IBU - 70
Calories - 185
Hops - Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade
Malts - Pale, C-120
OG - 14.6
TG - 2

The best way to tell if you can culture from a beer is look at the bottom of the bottle before pouring/drinking. If there are solids there, called dregs, then it’s yeast you can probably culture. Also, some bottles will tell you that there are live cultures in the bottle. Two prominent ways a brewery will tell you there’s yeast in there is to put “live yeast” or “bottle conditioned” on their labels.

Did the NB Dead Ringer extract kit a couple months ago. First IPA I’ve done, after 8-10 other batches, and the Dead Ringer kit is on the top of my list to do again. Turned out really hoppy, and easy drinking. I used the Wyeast 1056 on it.

Haven’t had a Ranger since last summer so I can’t really tell you how it would compare, but the NB kit was really good. I like it a lot more than the Cream Ale and Irish Red kits that my friends keep asking for more of, but maybe that just means I’m turning into a hop-head.

[quote=“DMRaschka”]Did the NB Dead Ringer extract kit a couple months ago. First IPA I’ve done, after 8-10 other batches, and the Dead Ringer kit is on the top of my list to do again. Turned out really hoppy, and easy drinking. I used the Wyeast 1056 on it.

Haven’t had a Ranger since last summer so I can’t really tell you how it would compare, but the NB kit was really good. I like it a lot more than the Cream Ale and Irish Red kits that my friends keep asking for more of, but maybe that just means I’m turning into a hop-head.[/quote]
I know what you mean brewing has changed my taste for stronger hoppier beer