Importance of fermentation temperature control

In getting back into brewing after a few years off, I’m intending to improve on several aspects of my approach, one being to better control fermentation temperatures. I realize there are several approaches and I used to use a heating mat over the carboy I was fermenting in. I also used a large insulated bag with various amounts of water frozen in plastic jugs when I made lagers. For adding heat, I have no problem with what I’ve been doing, but I do have a question – how do you determine the temperature of fermentation? I used a thermo sensor housed in a chunk of styrofoam taped tightly to the outside wall of the carboy, usually plastic, but sometimes glass. I’m not so sure this is a good approach, but I didn’t have a sensor to place in the fermenting beer and didn’t want one more potential source of contamination.

As for controlling temperature to keep it from getting too warm, I know people often use a kegerator, whether a converted fridge/freezer or a fridge for storing and serving keg beer. I still have the same question regarding the temp probe, but I also wonder if there could be some approach better than an insulated bag (and I do hook up the heating mat in tandem with a “thermostat” of sorts to ensure the fermentation doesn’t get too cool) but not as pricey and bulky as a fridge/freezer with a temp regulator. Also, if you were to ferment in a room or in a kegerator at, say 55 degrees, does the fermentation temperature remain at 55 degrees or can the yeast still generate enough heat to, at least for some period of time, keep the fermentor contents at a higher temp? That is, can you really control fermentation temperature if you’ve got some aggressive yeast strain in a high SG wort?

I’m focused on fermentation temp since it seems like keeping the temps controlled is critical even for some Belgian beers – despite that some brewers just “let the yeast go”, and temps can get up to 90. So maybe the last question is whether controlling fermentation temps, other than obvious cases with lager strains, is as important as I’m tending to believe?

Assuming you’ve done everything right up to the point of pitching yeast, I believe fermentation temperature control is the most important aspect of fermenting a good clean beer, ale or lager. Having said that does a swing of 1,2,3 degrees hurt. Nope. So while I’m anal about keeping them all in the lower end of their optimal temp range I have always just relied on the stick on fermometers to monitor fermentation temp. Lots of other brewers will tell you they use thermowells and other methods to get what they consider a more accurate number. I just don’t feel it’s necessary given that I like it on the lower end of the spectrum anyway. So if I’m off by a few degrees…no big deal.

I’m with Danny… I’d add, if you have a reliable way to monitor temps from the outside, then believe during active ferment, it will be, perhaps, up to 5*F in the wort… No worries then… I’ve been using a tilt for a while… I toss it into the wort at the time I’m pitching yeast… Sanitation is key… It just seems to work fine…
I think once you figure out your fermenting vessel, be it a swamp cooler or such, I’d stay at the lower end of the temp range for the yeast… Then when you start to do some of the “flavorful yeast” you’ll figure what temps you like them to “express” themselves
Sneezles61

1 Like

Although I agree with @dannyboy58 and @sneezles61 I would like to point out that since fermentation is exothermic I’ve easily seen temps swing upwards of 8°-10° so even kept in a ‘lower’ range you could easily climb out of ideal temps.
With that said your method of utilizing styrofoam is PLENTY. It will insulate the probe enough from ambient temps and give you a much more realistic temp of your fermenting wort.

I compare my temps to my freez-mentor and tilt…
Sneezles61

1 Like