I'm starting to believe that I don't really like crystal malt

I had 3 separate Kveik cultures and mixed them together in the end on purpose. I let them decide who was boss. I was happy with the result for several brews.

Maybe I will just make a 2L starter with it and save a quart. What styles of beer did you make with the kveik? I’m going to use it for a witbier initially

You don’t really need a start with Kveik. It is pretty voracious. I use it in the summer to make anything where the yeast needs to be neutral and I don’t feel like using anything other than my household AC as temperature control.

I wanted to make a starter so I could save half of it

you don’t need 2L starter though. You only need to save 8 oz (i usually save 4 oz)

Oh gotcha. I do use pitching calculators so that I can ball park the amount needed according to my original gravity. Just wanted to save some excess.

1 Like

I use the eyeball method… Looks close to what was in the original vial… Close enough for me… Hasn’t let me down yet… Sneezles61

1 Like

So I saw the score results posted and it only scored a 14.5? Seems odd to me but maybe it was because it wasnt carbonated or something. I bottled it about 3 days prior to the deadline so that’s what I’m assuming. The beer completely transformed over a 2 week period. I’ll just have to wait and see what the notes are when I receive them. Feeling a bit discouraged, but then again, it’s not my favorite beer I’ve ever made. I’m going to start brewing more to my own taste and leaving others recipes as more of a guideline.

2 Likes

That’s a wise choice… I’m not wanting to please all the other peeps… My brew… My buds. Sneezles61

2 Likes

When I first started brewing 3 weeks was the wait time on drinking after bottling. I learned on Mr. Beer kits and the forum old timers would always say to noobs 4/3/3. 4 weeks in the fermenter, 3 weeks in the bottle, 3 days in the fridge. This would be something that would have to be repeated to a new kit users every few days.
While I do not subscribe to this as a hard fast rule anymore it was an important guideline during my impatient beginning days.

1 Like

It’s hard to be patient. I keg most everything and the beers seem “green” to me for a few weeks. Almost always is “Man, this is really getting tasty” followed by a keg kicking. :grinning:

5 Likes

I experience the exact same thing @WMNoob

Ok so I’m drinking a pale ale I made a month ago and I can now taste the same thing. Had 2 pounds of crystal 15 in it. Really starting to believe I’m just sensitive to its taste and it’s not my favorite thing.

1 Like