I'm starting to believe that I don't really like crystal malt

Must be time to shop for a few of those myself.

Is that the pre-pro pils?

No that is my pilsner recipe. All pilsner with a bit of wheat and touch of acid malt. Made with German ale 1007 fermented low 60s in a swamp cooler. I could have use lager yeast and my control chamber but alas it was full

1 Like

What’s your go to lager yeast? I’ve only made one lager and over shot my gravity by some crazy amount. Needless to say I cant even remeber which yeast I used

1 Like

Bavarian lager Yeast WY2206 is what I’ve been using.

2 Likes

Awesome. Lagers will be filling up my fermentation chest after I bottle up my berliner weisse and my funktown pale ale. I’d really like to start a semi yearly beer exchange with some of you other members so we can share as well as give and receive some honest feedback… maybe include the recipe used and such

2 Likes

My go to lager yeast as well. Even for my pils which I used to insist on wy2001 for. I now prefer the malt focus of 2206 to bring out that pilsen malt flavor.

Doing a vitality starter with 2206 right now for a high K pitch to some pils wort tomorrow.

1 Like

How big of starters do you guys pitch for 5 gallons?

When I start a lager series I’ll make a 1 gallon small beer and harvest the yeast so I’d say a 1 gallon starter

Oh damn! You just use malt extract and do that or make an extra gallon on brew day?

Yeah I just collect some extra runnings and make a small light lager.

For me it really depends on the age of the yeast. I used to do big stepped starters to get more than the recommended number of cells/ml. Lately if the yeast is fairly fresh, less than 3-4 months old, I’ll just to a vitality starter to get it going again. I do use a pretty large amount of slurry in those kind though… So I’ll use a calculator like brewersfriend.com to figure out how close I am and go from there… Not so scientific but it’s been working. I usually make my starters from light DME.

1 Like

I thought he was talking about starting a new vial of yeast. I don’t make a starter for slurry either. After that first gallon brew I’ll just keep repitches going all season. I’ll usually start up a new one every year

Yeh I would be starting a new viral so both suggestions are helpful. I’ll probably make a gallon starter, pitch it into my first batch, and then collect slurry

A new viral doesn’t sound good

2 Likes

Haha right, new packet

If you are going to do this then just harvest off the starter. The yeast is so much better IMO

That’s what I currently do. Build a big starter and save about a quart and make a new starter each time.

1 Like

Now from what I understand @squeegeethree you cant really do this with mixed cultures? I got a packet of imperial a44 which is kveiking and is 3 strains of kveik. I really want to keep this as my house strain and it’s only sold seasonally.

I just spoke with imperial yeast company and they said building a starter would be fine as long as I plan on pitching the entire thing. Kind of figured. I’m still going to harvest this one though as I’ve heard it evolves well over time.