Ideal Temp for Hefeweizen

According to Jamil’s Classic Styles book, he claims great results using WLP300 or WY 3068 at lower than recommended temp of 62F. I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these yeasts at the lower temp range. Thanks.

I purposely run WY 3068 at higher than recommended range because I really love the banana side of the flavor profile and that seems to create it well. I am told the low end is the clove side of the flavor profile but I have not tried it.

1 Like

That is correct. I tend to ferment low, @ 62* to accentuate the clove.

and…I see that this is a resurrected 4 month old thread now…

1 Like

Couldn’t aquire WLP300 brew store only had WLP380 available. Suggestions for temperature? This is going into a Blood Orange Hefe

The higher end of the spectrum is more on the banana side which I think would go better with Blood Orange than the lower temp clove side.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Both breakfast foods

2 Likes

I pitched WLP300 in my Hef yesterday and the temp today is around 72. Percolating right along this AM. This is only the second batch of Hef I’ve made so I’m looking forward to tasting it and getting a plan for the third.

2 Likes

Well tested my hefe today which mostly fermented around 70° . Tastes and smells good .010 racked it to the blood orange. I’ll do another straight up since it tastes so good. I have another pack but I’ll also save a little slurry. I’ve heard the slurry doesn’t work as well as the fresh pack.

That’s been my experience. After 2 or 3 repitches it trends toward dull and boring. I do a fresh smack pack, just 1, no starter for 5 G as an intentional underpitch.

Well mine was .050 so I only used one pack but I had bought 2 so I’m good for another. I’ll just dump the slurry

http://allaboutbeer.com/quirks-of-brewing-ferulic-acid-rest/

I’ll put this here also

2 Likes

good read