I don't see a welcome thread, so i will introduce myself here

Hello all,

Thinking of getting back into homebrewing, so I thought I would come find a forum to bring me up to speed. I was a regular user of the Midwest Supplies Forum back when I was brewing on a regular basis, but it looks like that forum is no longer in existence.

I started off with a basic extract brewing kit from Northern Brewer that I got as a B-Day gift around 2002 or 2003 and brewed up until 2012 where life changed course and i just couldn’t find the time to spend a full day brewing.

As I had mentioned, I started with extract. Then I moved into all grain and kegging and became obsessed with the hobby as many do.
With a year into the Covid - work from home thing, I am getting bored and recently started to think I could get back into brewing some beer.

I guess it will start reading the threads that spark some interest and join in where i may have questions or might give my opinions of experience.

On that note, hope this inspires me to move forward, break out all me gear and order up some grains and hops that aren’t 10 years old and start brewing.

Cheers,
Joonze

2 Likes

Welcome to our humble forum Joonze! Always happy to help out with any questions or guidance here and you’ll find us a very friendly knowledgeable bunch. Feel free to read up and ask any questions that you may have and you will definitely get some feedback!

:beers:
Rad

Welcome to the group alot has changed since 2012. More types of yeast and hops. Some equipment changes and different styles to try and master. Many more bag and basket brewers as well tradiionalists

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to reading up on what is new with brewing and hoping to inspire myself to return to the hobby.

@brew_cat, I am sure there is a huge change.
Brew in Bag was just picking up steam as I started to phase out.
I will have to do some research on yeast, i mostly used dry yeast and built a starter and then recycled /harvested from the trub.
I’m sure hops have also expanded in what is available, i think Citra were the new hops on the block when i stopped brewing.

anyways, thanks… I look forward to reading what is posted and hope to join in…

1 Like

Yes, welcome!
All sorts of brewers here… from 1 gallon on up to brew pub guys…
As much as things have changed, much remains the same… You’ll find yer way during yer re-entery… We’ll be looking forward to what you are doing and assistance, should you need.
Sneezles61

Thanks! I miss the brewing communities, very friendly and helpful.

I welcome you back in another thread before getting to this one. Welc9me back again! :joy:
But this is one big change. First, making a starter with dry yeast is detrimental as they are packaged with nutrients and these are depleted in the starter. Plus, for the cost of an extra satchel you’ll have just as much money wrapped up in DME for the starter.
Second, TON more options of dry yeast now!

1 Like

thanks…good info…i see there are a ton more options. I look forward to see what is best practice with what is now available. it will take me a month before i have a firm brewday…

1 Like

Welcome Joonze

Welcome back to home brewing!

Welcome back. This is a great place to hang out. Very helpful people here. Most of the usual suspects have responded to your intro :grinning:

Everyone is eager to answer questions from the most simple to some complicated stuff I try to avoid :wink:

I’m a little late to the party but welcome back! I hope you get inspired to get rolling again. Good bunch of folks here. :sunglasses:

Welcome back. Indeed. Lots of differnt products now like a yeast strain kveik. And different kind of new hops. And more. Grains. Me the. Different way. Covid sort of slowed down. My brewing. Due to less income. But as of today back to work