I don't like grapefruit tasting beer

I don’t like beers that taste like grapefruit. Is there a specific ingredient that I need to avoid?

1 Like

Hops. American and New Zealand hops, in particular. Most any hop that starts with C, like Cascade, Citra, Columbus, etc. Also avoid Simcoe and Mosaic and Amarillo.

So I take it your not an IPA fan. Nothing wrong with that. Many great beers that don’t include the grapefruit, pithy character.

I’ve only had a few IPA and no, I wasn’t a fan. I didn’t realize IPA and grapefruit were synonymous. No more IPA for me, haha. I do enjoy grapefruit but not in my beer.

1 Like

Well then, I have so much to learn. I thought all beer had hops. (they do don’t they?) and I thought all hops came from the same place. The more I think about it, I don’t even know what a hop is. I’ll Google that! I’ll stay away from the ones you mentioned. Thank you.

No, an IPA can be free of any juice like quality. Specifically it is the North East style of IPA that is juicy. Historically IPAs are not juicy. So NEIPA, Haze, Hazy, Juice, “Late Addition Hops” are descriptors to avoid for you. Often IPAs that have the descriptors Milk, Cream, Milkshake are full of lactose that is added so that the hops juice quality can be increased even further. So I guess you can avoid those as well. But I would encourage you to try tasting flights at a good brewery. When in balance all these descriptors have their place. There are just so many trashy breweries out there now that don’t make consistently good beer.

You can eliminate grapefruit character and still have thousands of brewing combinations to satisfy any pallet. Im always reminded of the old response to people who say “I don’t like beer” and thats you just haven’t tried the right one. A better thing to say is " I don’t like any of the beer ive tried" i agree go to a good brewery and ask for a flight and mention but nothing grapfuity then narrow it down. Looks like you like malty British styles. Nothing wrong with that

1 Like

Don’t know where you are in your brewing journey, but maybe avoid IPA’s, though they don’t all have grapefruit flavor. A number of American hops will give that type of flavor. If you’re like me, you could go for some of the traditional English/German styles which tend to be more malty and call for earthier style hops.

If you go to a brew pub, you can always get a flight with a variety of styles and see what you like. other than doing a homebrew session on a beautiful Saturday morning, few things quite as exciting as a flight of beer at a brewery you’ve never been to.

What are thinking about brewing?

I’m actually making the peanut butter cup stout for my son. I like Apple beers, blue moon, and most flavors of seltzer beers. I like most of the cheap beers on tap at the local bar too! I just haven’t found a grapefruit tasting beer that I’ve ever cared for, needless to say, they’ve all come unexpectedly except the seltzer which clearly says “grapefruit”.

I’m working on a stout for my son, a little strong in flavor for me but I’m sure I’ll drink a few bottles! He’s paying $15 for a four pack. Then I’m going to make the block party kit that came with my starter kit. Maybe by then I’ll have done enough research and tasting to narrow things down a bit. I’m hoping to eventually not have to rely on kits but for now I’m taking baby steps, including using extract kits.

The bud light seltzer is not actually beer

I didn’t know that. I was drinking truly and whiteclaw mostly because I had been on a keto diet. I got use to the flavors (except the grapefruit) and the sweetness. I’ve been drinking bush lite apple lately but now I’m getting tired of the sweetness. I’ll figure it out.

That cuts it down on certain beer styles.

Look at german styles beer. Saaz. Hallertau hops

Kits are fine. Once I went all grain via biab the quality improved significantly. Biab is pretty easy and inexpensive plus I found it way more fun than kits. Good luck and be sure to let us know how things turn out.

1 Like