I agree

3 Likes

Yep, me too.

Yup. These days, I may brew a novelty or three, but what I actually purchase commercially for myself is typically… a standard plain old German lager. Yummy.

Gimmicky breweries that produce gimmicky beers don’t usually last long unless they can also do traditional beers well too.

What i been reading the brew industry. Got to create all kind of different beers. To keep up the demand. Of strange flav beer. Other wise. The competition. Pushes them out of the market. But the once who brew. Regular beers as well will do survive.

From day one of going on beer tours and tasting crafts, I believed in sticking to the basics. I am glad to see fruity beer slow down and less being made. I think sours will last longer , but I think that to will subside and slow down to in my opinion. Basics keep everythings going and solvable.

On another note, in our area Onco Fermations are going to compete in a Colorado.

I don’t push the limit with seeing what I can put in a beer and still have it come out tasting like beer. If I go to a place that has a huge tap list I’ll narrow it down and the first thing I do is eliminate all the beer with odd ingredients. That said I know there are many who do just the opposite and try the kitchen sink beer. I’m not sure which type sell the most but I would guess it’s probably a moderate IPA or pale ale.

1 Like

I always choose something I have difficulty making first. I think it’s important to keep testing new ingredients. IMO the goal would be locally grown/ locally sourced fermentables. While most regions of the earth are not able to grown barley, beer has been made all over the planet for eons. I do prefer a nice clean unassuming beverage 90% of the time. The rest of the time I like it funky.

Well, it’s been my driving point for many years… I like beer to taste like… Beer.
Yeah, an APA, IPA, nice malty red, a nice chocolate brown ( from the malt not chocolate), a blonde, and a nice crisp Pils… There are variations in those that I enjoy sampling for ideas… Even the days of 8% and bigger a very far and few between now…
Long statement to say… I agree too! Sneezles61

No Saison?

“Quit putting the kitchen sink in your beer,” she said. “I just want beer again.” This quote from that article kind of says it all. While I enjoy trying some oddball beers, I rarely get the urge to brew one. Just had a Victory Twisted Monkey last week. Mango in that and a little sweet. Kind of nice but one was enough.

Exactly my point . I don’t mind trying stuff but I’m not brewing 5 gallons worth. I guess breweries are in a different boat. They get enough people trying 1 they will move it

1 Like

Tried a brew last night that had banana purée and orange purée… A sip was enough for me… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It wasn’t sweet per se, but it wasn’t something I’d need to try again…
Squeegee, we really don’t get many saisons up here… Its a style I haven’t even chased down to see what it really is… Sneezles61

1 Like

Probably sounds too French. Make one and just call it a country ale or something. It’s kind of a funny style as you can brew with almost any ingredients at hand and just use a saison Yeast. Ferment warm and you get esters ferment colder and it will make a clean dry ale.

1 Like

I will admit I’m guilty of pushing the boundaries. I think its good for brewers to experiment but there is a balance that lots of brewers and home brewers cross. First keep it simple the recipe doesn’t have to have the kitchen sink in it. You may think that your special ingredient is the show case of the beer in my opinion that’s wrong It must and needs to still taste like beer. Take for instance my latest Sweet potato beer at the brewery. Special ingredients included brown sugar Marshmallow fluff and sweet Potatoes. All three added fermentable to the recipe and a hint of sweet Potato at the end. Most importantly it still taste like a beer. The show case of the beer is the beer. The special ingredients don’t over power and take away from that. That’s the balance that i see most brewers and breweries forgetting about.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity are most of those one offs? There was a brewery around here that got noticed because they brewed a cannolli beer. Don’t know if they still brew it. It was good, didn’t taste like a cannolli

@brew_cat what do you mean one offs?

By one off he means brewed only once. I had a chrysanthemum beer that was not good. I should have reminded the brewer that the pyrethrums in chrysanthemums are natural insecticides.

1 Like

Ahhhh, beer farts with a purpose… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sneezles61

1 Like

Oh! Yes i will be brewing it again. Next up is donut beer in a Can.