Hydrometer numbers and secondary fermentation

No the recipe does not call for honey. It was just something i was considering when i thought it would add extra flavor.

It is a concern that the recipe stated 1.06 Og and you measured 1.021. There is a definite user error somewhere in the process. If your measurements are correct this is a 2.6% beer (As opposed to the 7.8% it could have been). I would order a new kit asap because you are not going to be satisfied with this one. Sounds like you left out the extract that should have been in there somewhere.

It’s probably stratification, see @dannyboy58 's first post above.

2 Likes

My guess was, it’s extract, he did a partial boil, topped off and then took a reading from stratified wort. The OP didn’t comfirm this however.

1 Like

Bottle it and move on it probably fine

You are correct, i had an extract kit and boiled water, steeped the grains, added the malt extract and all the hops according to the instructions and then cooled the wort and poured into the primary with the correct amounts of water. I am just going to spend the time of bottling it and seeing how it turns out and if its bad i will work on getting a new kit to try again. But fingers crossed this one turns out fine and i just had an inaccurate reading from the start due to user error lol

2 Likes

Correct. There is no way you could be that low on an extract kit. After adding your top up water and yeast pour it back and forth between 2 buckets then take a reading and correct for temperature. Make sure your volume is right on. Alot of extract brewers don’t even waste beer taking a OG. I know this isn’t your first Brew so if the others came out good this will as well.

1 Like

Yep. If you used all the ingredients and hit the correct volumes you’ll have decent beer, close to the expected ABV.

Speaking of stratification, during bottling, very gently stir the beer a few times during the process. That’ll help ensure consistent carbonation in all the bottles in that batch.

Welcome to the forum and happy brewing!