HOW TO ESTIMATE "OG" when dosing with honey?

I am doing a one gallon batch of mead. I used 24oz (by WEIGHT) of honey in one gallon of water. That equalled an OG of 1.057.

Two days later, I add 16 oz (by weight) of same type of honey to the must, to raise “OG” on it.

Without taking another hydrometer sample, is there a way to estimate the pseudo-original gravity ( a 2.5 lb weight of honey to a gallon of water)?

I may even do another dose yet, so it would be cool if there was a formula or something for figuring this issue.

At the end of fermentation, I will do the normal hydrometer reading and use my “psuedo-OG estimate” in figuring the alcohol content.

I hope this made sense.

I don’t know the points per pound on honey, but, if you add up ALL the honey you put in, without changing the water ratio, you should have your answer. Sneezles61

Thanks Pork Chop! 2.5 x.42=1.05. to the gallon, and I don’t know jack about cider. So then your volume will bring down your ABV. Sneezles61

That’s what the mice told me, at least.

2 Likes

I was wondering if that’s where you were going or if that was an earnest answer. Off to design a pangalactic gargle blaster…

1 Like

Way too big for me… I like when what you make tastes like what you made, not hot alcohol… I’m left handed… Sneezles61

But it actually is 42 points per pound!

PORK, SO IT IS 42 POINTS PER POUND, SO WUT DOES THAT MEAN MATHWISE ?

SEEMS AS IF THIS SHOULD BE ALOT HIGHER THAN 1.050 O.G. THAT WAS ALOT OF HONEY IN A GALLON OF WATER

btw I PLUGGED MY RECIPE INTO BEERSMITH AND IT SHOWED 1.086 OG, AND A HONEY EXTRACT OF ‘1.035’ NOT 1.042

Yeah, there’s going to be a lot of variation in the gravity points with honey, as the bees that make it all do things a little bit differently. Probably depends on which union the bees are in. But 1.035 may be on the low side, as I’ve seen 1.042 reported as a reasonable average. It’s going to be all over the place, though.

As far as the math goes, if you have 1 gallon of honey/water solution that contains 1# honey, you should have a gravity of 1.042 (or somewhere in that ballpark depending on your honey.) 2# honey would give you 1.084, and if you had 2 gallons of honey/water solution containing 1# honey, that would give you a gravity of 1.021. So figure out how much honey you added by weight, what your total volume of honey plus water was, and that should give you your answer. :beers:

1 Like

Hey sneezles61, I know this post is a bit old but I noticed your math was off and no one caught it for you. 2.5# X 42 points/# = 105 points aka an OG of 1.105. That is all.

1 Like

Yup, good catch! Sneezles61