How to determine when to press?

The 3rd Addition was on April 16. As of May 22, the ferment is going slowly but there is no sign that the ferment is about to end. The sake instructions say that the fermentation should be done more or less by day 34, which was May5. The fermentation temperature has been 47 F for the last few weeks. Should I let the fermentation continue until it stops bubbling before joso or pressing? Should I raise the temperature to increase the rate of fermentation?

Thanks,

Hello,

At 47F, its a little more on the cold side, but not by much. I’ve gotten as low as 42F and it took 2 1/2 more weeks to finish. I would go ahead and raise the temperature a bit (slowly) to around 55 for a 3-4 days and if you can take a hydrometer reading. My sake tends to be a little drier around .090 to .092. Take a sterile sample and see how sweet it tastes. I will not be quite the same as the rice solids will tend to make it seem sweeter than it is - nigori style but can give a ball park. If the bubbles are really slow, you are probably done.

Looks like you are close to the end. Letting it continue will dry out your sake, so you might want to stop it. Once pressed, you can let that settle and a little secondary fermentation will ensue. Don’t wait too long as you exposed the sake when pressing. This is to let the majority of the fine lees to drop out. Pasteurizing will halt the fermentation.

Hope this helps,
dray

The sake has been dry for several weeks so I pressed over Memorial Day weekend. The dripped sake is clearing nicely in the fridge.

Thanks,