How to add orange flavor in wheat beer

I’m getting ready to brew a wheat beer kit from NB. I’m not planning on having a secondary fermentation? What is the best way to add a bit of orange flavor to the final product? I’ve heard of adding an orange peel or zest at the end of the boil, but I didn’t know if there were any other ideas!

I’ve recommend using a micro planer, a type of zester, and adding the zest at flameout. You want to get as little of the pith as possible and the micro planer is nice because it doesn’t dig deep. The amount you add is dependent on the quality of the orange.

1 Like

Add the. Zest about. 10 min end of boil to the wort. Its more Flav wise What you like. How much you add. More by trial and error. Ones you take grav reading and sample. Not happy you can ad more.

I recommend skipping orange peel altogether and hit with coriander instead. Coriander tastes very citrusy and is actually the primary flavoring in Belgian wheat beers… NOT the orange peel, which adds more bitterness than anything else.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. Iv added the zest to the keg which gives a nice flavor not sure if you can add it to fermenation without it fermenting

Learned some thing again. Will try next time skip the orange. Use crushed coriander

How much coriander would you recommend for a 5 gallon batch?
Should I use that in addition to the zest? Or just forget the zest all together?

If your making a witbeir you would use both

About 3/4 to 1 ounce coriander per 5 gallons is a good amount to start out with, for a moderate level of orangey citrus flavor. It will start out tasting kind of strong for the first week or two, then mellow out over time. After a couple of months, the coriander fades way out into the background. So, part of figuring out how much to use is knowing how quickly you think you might drink it. If drinking it all fast, then maybe use 3/4 ounce, and if letting it age for a few months, go the full ounce. My opinions. Adjust on future batches if necessary. I add mine in the last 5 minutes of the boil but you might also want to experiment soaking in a little vodka and then adding the flavored vodka to the finished beer a little at a time until it tastes right.

Thanks for all of the great advice!