How much is too much?

I (like all of you I assume) make a variety of beers. My mild ales are coming our fine, my robust porters are delicious, my wheat beers have nose and my cider goes quick, but I am have having trouble with my high (8+) ABV beers, I notice that I will have, what I consider to be a lot of yeast at the bottom of the keg. I just finished a Double Bock (8.6%) and every night I taped one (not every tap) I would get a slog of yeast in the beer. When I kicked, I probably poured a pint of yeast in to my glass, and took the keg out and had another pint in there. I have also seen this in my Imperial Stout (13.5), but not as bad… I want to make the Bock again next, so that is my primary concern. I used K-97 yeast… here is the recipe: Bock Bock Bock-6gal | Doppelbock Extract Beer Recipe | Brewer's Friend … when I look at my notes, this was in the fermenter for 2.5 weeks and the SG was stable (two readings)… is this just “more time in the fermenter son” or is there something I forgot to do…

TIA

K-97 is “slow to sediment” from their website. So i’m not surprised it is taking time to settle, It is also a medium flocculator. Try a different yeast there are lots to choose from in the high abv range.

1 Like

Squeegee has it… Perhaps this where a secondary may be your friend… always pushing the brew with CO2 of course… Would you be able to cold crash before putting the brew in a keg?
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Sounds to me like that yeast is a terribly slow dropping out. I’ve had good luck with WY1007 German Ale yeast in mock lagers in the past.

edit:

Having said that…I might leave a big beer in the fermenter for more than 2.5 weeks as well. A couple weeks in a bright vessel would certainly help as well if you like that yeast in all other respects.

Second Edit:
I just read that k97 and wy 1007 are the same yeast…not sure but wouldn’t be surprised. My notes do say the krauesen hung around a long time but I didn’t try to package anything earlier than 3-4 weeks with that yeast.

2 Likes