How Many Brews Before New Equipment Doesn't Give Off Metal Taste

I am somewhat new to brewing (8 months), but I’ve noticed that both times I’ve used new kettles (The one that came with the kit and my new Anvil Foundry) the at least the first batches have had a metal after taste. It’s not the water cause I use distilled water. Is there a way to clean or condition so that doesn’t happen? I cleaned the foundry with dish soap, then Oxi Clean then Barkeepers Friend before my first batch so it wouldn’t do that. Only thing I can think of is I didn’t clean the chiller as diligent as the kettle.

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t recall Stainless Steel ever giving of a metallic flavor… Something else is up to no good… Distilled water… nope… Weldless fittings?
You crush your own grain?
Whats your yeast strain/type?
Sneezles61

I just got a new SS Brewtech kettle and it recommends giving it an initial clean with TSP followed by rinsing. This is to remove any oils from the manufacturing process. Then it says to passivate the kettle by soaking in star san mixed 5 times the normal strength for 20-30 minutes. Hope this helps.

1 Like

The most likely candidate is Astringency.
Check out this link.

1 Like

Dont think its the kettle. More a water issue. Get a water test. See whats in the water

I think you can just drink the water to test for metallic taste. :face_with_monocle:

Overhere. For at least 6 months. The water had a metal taste. In the background. If you did drink it. So i did atach. Waterfilters. And away the taste of metal

1 Like

Thinking over the kits I’ve made the things in common were that both times I’v gotten a metallic taste was when I made an amber ale style beer. The first time I made it I used my filtered water from my fridge. The second time I made and amber ale I used bottled distilled water thinking it would fix it. Now here is the super odd thing… I’ve made 3 other IPA kits with distilled water and they tasted great (all kits I’ve made so far were with malt extract). So I’m super confused. I thought getting bottled distilled water would eliminate any chlorine off taste.

Did you read the astringency off flavor link I posted?
It is more likely your steeping, grain process. How do you monitor your temperatures during conversion?

2 Likes

Oops not yet. Will do that now.

I love my Polder Thermometer. I use it for all my brewing and for cooking as well. They are so cheap that I have a backup just in case I kill it by throwing it in a bucket of sanitizer (which happens)

1 Like

From reading this could be the likely cause: When steeping grains, be sure to take them out before the water gets to a boil. I did pull the steeping grains out before the temperature got to 170, but I see in another instruction sheet to steep grains at 150-160 for 20-30 minutes. Any advice here?

I hate those “pull out when temperatures get to” steep instructions. It’s better to get to your target temp shut off the heat and put your grains in.
I use this for my BIAB and there are online calculators so you can hit you target temps even with the loss of temperatures due to adding 10 or more pounds of grains at grain temps of 74F

1 Like

Tannin extractions over 165-168 is common.
I prefer the steeping around 153F

3 Likes

fantastic. thank you.

1 Like