How long in secondary before bottling?

How long can my brew sit in the secondary before bottling? I was wondering about the yeast still being active enough to prime when it comes time to bottle, thanks!!

Several weeks is generally no problem. I have used cask and bottling conditioning yeast like this successfully when bottling after 2 or 3 months in secondary.

1 Like

Unless you are going to be letting it sit for a a really long time, don’t worry about the yeast. They will be there to do the job.

1 Like

I’ll pine in… a small brew… it can wait a while… a couple of months is the tops… a big brew, longer… The yeast will not totally leave the brew… But it will leave less the longer you wait… Why? They will slowly finish up the residual maltoses’… then start to fall out due to the lack of food… You have to absolutely keep oxygen out though… That’ll wreck a great brew in a somewhat short time… Sneezles61

2 Likes

Cool!! Thanks gentlemen!

Just been thinking about this. Will transfer. A beer to secondary. Need a speidel fermentor. Today for brew session this afternoon. But have. Few carboys. Ready. To keg a beer. Only thing. My kegurator full. Right now. So will wait a other week with keging a new beer

1 Like