Hops high ibu

Is it me it seems. When i drink a hoppy beer. Ibu 60 or higher. My stomach. Dont like it.

No i sometimes have that problem as well. Its the acidity of the hops i feel.

Pretzels help…tremendously
Sneezles61

1 Like

It could be that. Me experiment with double ipa. It gives me now several times that issue. Its uncomfortable. But for the love of beer. Try pretsels after drinking few

2 Likes

Your body is telling you something. Plenty other styles of beer to Drink

Yer body needs some alkaline along with the acid to keep it balanced…
Sneezles61

Me gonna try other style. Like a heffe or pilsner. Sucks. If this would be the case. I do like ipa beers. Or start brewing. Lower. Ibu. Beers. Did not drink now for 2 days. Its enoying. If this would be the case. That. Certain hops. Give me issues.

I’m going to argue that it’s not the acid or the pH that is bothering you and that it’s the oils. What is the pH of your hoppiest beer? 5.2 or 5.4 maybe. A glass of Coke is 2.3. A cuppa tea black tea is 5 pH. A cup o coffee is 5. If you can drink any of these other things and not feel sick then it’s probably not the acid.
If the acid is bothering you then it is just as likely the acid from the CO2 and the carbonic acid it naturally creates.
So try reducing the gas as well.
For a CO2 pressure typical of the one in soda drinks bottles ({\displaystyle \scriptstyle P_{CO_{2}}} ~ 2.5 atm), we get a relatively acid medium (pH = 3.7) with a high concentration of dissolved CO2. These features are responsible for the sour and sparkling taste of these drinks.

1 Like

:dizzy_face:
Now theres alot of math equations first thing in the AM! But if we’re going to sort out fact and BS… Squeegee will bring the facts! I appreciate that!
Sneezles61

Well probably not carbonic acid if other higher carbonated drinks aren’t a problem. I had an issue with heartburn but only from beer that had alot of suspended hop solids in them. So even if the ph of the beer itself is not a problem what happens when those solids meet the temperature and enzymes etc. in your gut?

The only beer I had heartburn from so far is grist house conspiracy tangle. Its a Pittsburgh local beer. I had heart burn before I even finished the beer. They describe the beer as

“It’s easy to get tied up in the massive aroma of this hazy concoction with Cashmere and Simcoe hops conjuring notes of melon and citrus. The base of lager malt, raw wheat, and flaked oats forges a light, silky palate for the hops to shine. Juicy and full-bodied, this New England IPA captures the mind as well as the taste buds.”

Its not the wheat nor the flaked oats for I have had these before. It did seem more bitter so the IBU may have been up around 70. I have had dogfish 120 minute which is 120 IBU with no heart burn but honestly come on reduce the IBU!!!

I will have to research the oil levels to see if that is the potential culprit.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I was kinda implying. @wilcolandzaat will let us know if he can drink a can of Coke then it’s not the acid, carbonic or otherwise.

Coke is heavy with Citric Acid… So does that mean… the citronella alpha oils MAY the factor in the hops?
Sneezles61

If i do drink regular coke. Or dr pepper. It gives me issues as well mayby related. To other issues. Try to zero it out. Whats going on. Must admit. Me dont live the healthy life style

Can you drink coffee and tea without adding milk?

Never to late to start

"The secretory response of gastric acid to pure ethanol and alcoholic beverages may be different because the action of the non-ethanolic contents of the beverage may overwhelm that of ethanol. Pure ethanol in low concentrations (< 5% vol/vol) is a mild stimulant of acid secretion whereas at higher concentrations it has either no effect or a mildly inhibitory one. Pure ethanol given by any route does not cause release of gastrin in humans. Alcoholic beverages with low ethanol content (beer and wine) are strong stimulants of gastric acid secretion and gastrin release, the effect of beer being equal to the maximal acid output. Beverages with a higher ethanol content (whisky, gin, cognac) do not stimulate gastric acid secretion or release of gastrin. The powerful stimulants of gastric acid secretion present in beer, which are yet to be identified, are thermostable and anionic polar substances. "

Most likely a combination of the gastric acid secretion, the fizzy of carbonation and other factors. Seems like a shot of whiskey before drinking your hoppy IPA is a good test to take.

1 Like

Do drink black coffee. Even cut this down to only in the morning we dutch people love coffee. So only morning coffee now

Me sort of started. Cut down on pizza burgers. Pasta. And snacks. Need to eat more. Regularly. Eat ones a day. Me most the work work. Dive dive. Inbetween dives. Dont feel like eating. Quik drink thats it

1 Like