Hops 2020

Guess who’s poking out their little heads

5 Likes

The alliums and iris’s?
Sneezles61

This reminds me that I have a helluva lotta rhizomes to dig out of the ground. . .They’re spreading too far!!!

That’s the reason I stopped growing hops. If I ever grow them again it will be in a container or some buried box in the ground to limit the spread.

They’ve found their way through the cracks in the slab of my garage, which is really interesting to see.

1 Like

Mine have started popping their little heads up for the season, the centennial is almost tall enough to start wrapping on the line, the chinook is lagging a bit. We did have snow this morning here, so hopefully they don’t get frozen.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Had to update this to show off my custom automatic watering system! :heart_eyes:

She has been so proud to tell me how big they are each day when I get home from work cause she’s watering them for me.

Rad

4 Likes

Harvested my two plants this weekend and i think i’ll have hops to get me trough the winter🍺

4 Likes

Nice harvest. My Cascade did well I’m monitoring them closely

1 Like

I think i’ll have about 1000gr when it’s all dried and finished. It’s an old swedish variety, hence it’s doing much better than my Saaz or Northern brewer.

1 Like

That’s great! Mine are pitiful. What’s the variety?

1 Like

Now we know why you can’t post as often!!
Maybe in retirement I could do hops again? :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

It’s called Näs, a very old swedish variety that seems to thrive in our garden.

Yeh that sweet harvest makes my 4 plants look pitiful. I dont think all 4 plants would even fill one of those crates

First ever harvest, waited a bit too long so I dumped the browner ones. Now to figure out how to dry them and use them for something …

Rad

3 Likes

I just kegged my harvest Ale a couple days ago. Bittered with nugget pellets then did 4 oz cones in a bag at 15 and another 4 oz WP. Squeezed those. Then another oz Cascade pellets in the keg. The cones were Cascade as well. Probably could have used more of the home grown. The first tastes are very promising. Not a IPA by today’s standards but going to be a nice pale ale it’s only 5.5abv

3 Likes