Hoping I didn't botch my first batch

I made my first attempt at the Chinook IPA last weekend - and I have learned 2 lessons already.

First, I forgot to shake it before adding the yeast. Lesson #1. :slight_smile:

It looks like it’s foaming up some in the bubbler - it’s not super active, but I’m hoping it’s OK in spite of that.

Second, the temperature in the room where it’s brewing is <65F (not sure exactly how much less than that - my thermometer is kinda sketchy - I’ll get a better one before the next batch).

So I don’t know if the temperature is making it less active or if it’s the lack of shaking or if it’s all good and I’m just worrying too much about it.

Any advice?

It’s all good and your worrying to much. There is really nothing hard about making beer.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about the shaking. There are certain advantages to stressing yeast. Sure you would have finished earlier and maybe you would have had a cleaner profile but you will have just as much alcohol as if you had shaken the out of it.

<65 is not something i would worry about either but you didn’t tell us your yeast so maybe it’s an issue but I’m guessing not.

Dont see any problem not shaking your wort before ading the yeast. Dont worry it will come out fine

Unless I’m in a hurry I ferment pale ale at that temperature often.

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

Excellent - so it sounds like the lack of shaking might make it less clear, but it’ll still be ok. Whew.

The lower temperature is ok, too, but it might take longer - should I just plan on an extra week before bottling it then?

How long is “too long” for it to stay in the jug? I ask because I could wait as long as 4 weeks for this batch, but after that I’m going to be out of town for 2 weeks - so if it’s not ready in 4 weeks, it’ll be 6 weeks before I can get back to it.

The yeast was from the Chinook IPA kit - the website says it’s “Bru Yeast Small Batch American Dry Ale Yeast”.

When you say jug I’m thinking this is the one gallon Chinook IPA? With a one gallon brew you can expect the beer to rise at least 2°F over the ambient. After active fermentation is over the beer will drop to the ambient temperature. A five gallon batch of the Chinook OG would rise 3° to 5°F over ambient.

The yeast is most likely a neutral yeast like US-05. I wouldn’t worry about the lack of aeration with the Chinook OG being around 1.053. The yeast should handle it without a problem. Some dry yeasts can go slightly higher without aeration of the wort. You most likely had some aeration just going from the boil kettle to the jug. US-05 will ferment down to 59°F.

The fermentation will probably be done in less than a week. Then the beer will start clearing from the top downward. That will be dry hop time. I usually dry hop the Chinook for seven days. Have gone ten days at times. A total of three weeks in the primary should give you a clear beer to bottle.

Yep - it’s the 1 gallon Chinook IPA.

I’m a newb, so I’m not planning on dry hopping it - the instructions didn’t call for that, but from what I’m reading, I kinda think I want to try it next time! I’m really interested in trying variations on this recipe in the future.

I’ll plan on letting it sit for 3 weeks, then - that seems like a safe time to let it finish. It’ll get 3 more in the bottle before I get to try it, and hopefully by then, it’ll all be happy (and I will, too).

Thanks again!

Yes, let it sit for 3 weeks… Then, pop it in the fridge for a few days… That will aid in yeast settling out and clearing of your brew… Be very careful and quiet when racking into a bottling bucket… And Welcome to the NB forum and the wild world of home brewing… Sneezles61