tl;dr? skip to the bottom for "on the fly hop substitution"
What's nice about
- IBU = Weight(oz) * AA * U * 75 / V
is that it can be simplified for my brewing system. The portion of the equation
is constant for the batch size that I brew. So I rebuilt table 7 in chapter 5 to reflect this.
- Ume becomes 3.465 ==> .231 * 75 / 5
and my calculation is
- Weight(oz) = IBU / ( AA * Ume )
- Weight(oz) = 40 / (11.4 * .3.465)
I ran out of magnum at 11.4 AA, but have Warrior at 15.7 AA.
- Weight(oz) = 40 / (15.7 * .3.465)
For me, it's also easy to see that 11.2 AA vs 11.4 AA doesn't matter when I repurchase magnum.
Many ways to enjoy the hobby (sometimes it's building equipment, sometimes is reworking equations). And yes, "there's an app for that this".