Hop shoot already out of the ground

After 2 brutal winters, we are having a most unusually mild one this year. Yesterday afternoon, I decided to enjoy some sun and 50 degree F temperature doing some weeding in my hop yard. I can’t say I’ve ever done that in early February in Western New York! Anyway, what do I find but a shoot sticking out of the ground! Man, this can’t be good especially since it’s supposed to drop down to 6 degrees F on Saturday. I took a chunk of compost to throw over it. I guess I might not have to worry about trimming those first shoots this year. Anyone else seeing hop activity already?

None here, but we’ve been hammered by snowstorms the past week and a half. I did tap a few trees on Saturday though and there is some sap dripping. About a month earlier than expected. I’m thinking Spring is close-ish, Although the horses aren’t shedding yet, so we must be at least two weeks out.

I noticed my Cascades coming up about a week ago. Far different than early Feb in NY, but I was pleasantly surprised. I have probably a total of about 16 shoots between the 2 that I planted last year. Only one of my Centennial’s made it last year, but it too is starting to push, showing about 6-8 shoots.