Hop Pellets made it into my keg. Now what?

So I forgot to do my usual gentles swirling in secondary to encourage the hops pellet bits to drop out. Didn’t notice because I had a blanket over the carboy to protect it from light. So now I have a ton of hop pellet bits in my keg.

I am hoping to just chill it down for a few days on CO2 and then (hopefully) pull a pint of hop bits leaving the rest clear.

I also have some gelatin which I’ve never used. Would that be worth a shot?!

[quote=“SoltanGris”]So I forgot to do my usual gentles swirling in secondary to encourage the hops pellet bits to drop out. Didn’t notice because I had a blanket over the carboy to protect it from light. So now I have a ton of hop pellet bits in my keg.

I am hoping to just chill it down for a few days on CO2 and then (hopefully) pull a pint of hop bits leaving the rest clear.

I also have some gelatin which I’ve never used. Would that be worth a shot?![/quote]

Yeah, you’ll have hop debris for a while. Let it sit cold–don’t jostle or bump the keg–and eventually it will clear. Give it a week, perhaps?

You can try gelatin; it may help expedite the process, and it certainly won’t hurt.

Best case, hop debris in the glass.

Worst case, plugged poppet.

You will have to evaluate it and decide if you need to siphon to a new keg with a nylon to catch the debris.

I totally forgot about the poppets. Well, if they clog I’ve found some hose that I can jam in the dip tube and send to the drain and just push the gunky stuff out … then clean and replace the poppet.

If only I wasn’t in a rush to keg this stuff! :smiley:

I cut an inch off of one of my liquid dip tubes for just this situation. If my siphoning isn’t very clear, I use that dip tube so that I’m not drawing off of the bottom of the keg.

In June I used pellet hops to brew and then to dry hop in a keg using this
http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Dry-Hopper_p_155.html
. Although the keg has been in the keezer now for nearly two months, I’m still finding a lot of hop particles in my glass. Tried using gelatin to strip out the particulate matter, but to no avail. I give up.

I typically use whole hops throughout my entire brewing process, and I will continue that practice going forward.

Well I let the keg sit at 5C for a few days. Then I pulled several pints through a fine strainer. This kind of hurt the carbonation, but no bits in the glass and I got to drink beer. After those 5,6 pints the beer started flowing clearly and tastes great!

There were only 1/2oz of dryhops so that may have played a role as well.

if its clogged hook the co2 up to the beer and blow it out then hook it back up